Kahr T9 slide doesn't lock open
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kahr T9 slide doesn't lock open

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kahr T9 slide doesn't lock open

Purchased a new Kahr T9 about 2 month ago. Since then, I put about 750 rounds through it. After about the first 100 rounds, the slide STOPPED locking in the open position after finishing a magazine. The gun never jams but this has been a bit annoying. Has anyone seen this or know what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #2

Default Slide not locking back

There have been a lot of failure to lock back when empty on Kahrs. Check the magazine follower - it is probably worn and not engaging the slide. Check and see if Tripp Cobra mags make a follower and spring for the Kahr.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #3

Just an idea, look at the location of you thumbs on the slid. I used a SIg-Pro at one point and always had this problem. I shoot thumbs forward and I found I was covering the slid lock and holding it down. I don't know but I also suspected my gun had problems until I found I was holding down the slid lock. Just an idea.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayowl View Post
There have been a lot of failure to lock back when empty on Kahrs.

huh??
That's the first I've heard of it.
I own 2 Kahr firearms. Although during the break-in period the user may experience FTE or other related minor problems, but not a continuous one, unless it's a warranty issue or operator error. All the Kahrs I've ever seen or heard about have worked flawlessly, for me and other owners.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #5

I've given the Kahr close inspection and I believe that is one of the best made arms available. I really like it and have been thinking of getting a T9. Its well made, fits the hand good and has a good heft to it. My wife told me that I don't need any more guns, but she has said that before. I carry on a daily basis and dress to conceal my 1911 Para 7-45 LDA, but there are a few times where I smaller handgun would be nice. I was thinking of a North American Arms .380 Guardian since it will fit in a 35mm camera case, but a T9 would be more practical. Failure to lock back after the last round can be experienced by all semi autos and is usually due to a worn magazine follower and is easily fixed. We check the handguns of all students on the first day of class and sometimes find some that look like they have never been cleaned or lubricated. The operators lack of knowledge and experience is often to source of a lot of fireamrs problems. In our student manual, we list a number of handguns which we recommend ( both revolvers and semi autos) and, for autos, the T9 is at the top of the list. While I carried a 1911 SA cocked and locked for over 25 years, on duty and off, the SA 1911 is at the bottom of our list. STI has a new 9mm out, the G6 that looks interesting. That's one I want to look into.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayowl View Post
Failure to lock back after the last round can be experienced by all semi autos and is usually due to a worn magazine follower and is easily fixed.
Grayowl,
Yes that's true, but in marzig76's OP he states his Kahr is new and after a 100 rounds it started to stop locking open after finishing a magazine. It's highly unlikely that a worn magazine follower is the problem.

But I'm sure the problem has been rectified since the OP is dated 5/02/09 with no other reply from marzig76.

Last edited by UnderFire; 12-04-2009 at 04:28 AM.