Kahr PM9, M&P Shield and Walther PPS Range Review - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kahr PM9, M&P Shield and Walther PPS Range Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
What did the say is wrong with the 290?
The gunsmith at the store says he has a fair amount of 290's that fail to fire due to light strikes. This store is a big big big Sig dealer and a few of the store salesguys and the gunsmith say not every band makes every gun perfectly and if you want a small Sig the 290 is not it.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:18 AM   #12

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrums View Post
The gunsmith at the store says he has a fair amount of 290's that fail to fire due to light strikes. This store is a big big big Sig dealer and a few of the store salesguys and the gunsmith say not every band makes every gun perfectly and if you want a small Sig the 290 is not it.
Is that the first gen or 2nd? There is a restrike version of the 290 which I believed fix that issue but I'm not sure.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:24 AM   #13

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Is that the first gen or 2nd? There is a restrike version of the 290 which I believed fix that issue but I'm not sure.
Good question...I don't know. I love Sig and currently have a P226 that is extremely accurate. I'd love to get some more Sig's and the 290 was on my list.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:37 AM   #14

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

I've owned and carried a PM9 for 4 years with no malfunction at all.

I find it 100% reliable with both range and SD ammo. Recoil is stout but it's a CCW gun, not a fun range queen.

Perhaps you were sissy wristing it?

Tack

Old 08-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I've owned and carried a PM9 for 4 years with no malfunction at all.

I find it 100% reliable with both range and SD ammo. Recoil is stout but it's a CCW gun, not a fun range queen.

Perhaps you were sissy wristing it?

Tack
I thought that maybe it was me too...but for one thing I never have issues with the Glock's, M&P9c, .380 Bodyguard, my Colt 1911 I personally own and other various guns I rent to try out. The store/range had the RO check the gun out and it had problems so that ruled me out. I grip the gun pretty hard...I'm 6'5" 240lbs and not weak...however I have no ego and take lesson and listen to those that have been at this longer than I have. If I was gripping the gun wrong and letting it move around too much I'd want to know to correct.

The more people I talk to the more I begin to feel that Kahr has very very tight tolerances and they might not have a really good final inspection process so some Kahr's make it out to the public not up to specs. I love the size for conceal deep carry wearing light clothes but I just don't trust going in and buying a new Kahr with a great possibility that it make not be a good Kahr.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #16

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrums View Post
I thought that maybe it was me too...but for one thing I never have issues with the Glock's, M&P9c, .380 Bodyguard, my Colt 1911 I personally own and other various guns I rent to try out. The store/range had the RO check the gun out and it had problems so that ruled me out. I grip the gun pretty hard...I'm 6'5" 240lbs and not weak...however I have no ego and take lesson and listen to those that have been at this longer than I have. If I was gripping the gun wrong and letting it move around too much I'd want to know to correct.

The more people I talk to the more I begin to feel that Kahr has very very tight tolerances and they might not have a really good final inspection process so some Kahr's make it out to the public not up to specs. I love the size for conceal deep carry wearing light clothes but I just don't trust going in and buying a new Kahr with a great possibility that it make not be a good Kahr.
At your size you can surely conceal a larger gun and full size auto's are inherently more reliable than compacts or sub compacts.

Given my experience with Kahr I'd chalk your malfunctions up to range guns being dirty or poorly maintained. Like ALL small autos the PM9 is sensitive to round count and must have recoils springs changed per manufacturers recommendation.

Rental guns are notorious for not receiving this level of care so while they are good for deciding on a guns feel they are a poor indication of reliability.

All that said, a bigger gun with more slide mass will be more forgiving and if I could effectively conceal a bigger pistol for office carry, I would...

Good Luck, at the end of the day the best CCW pistol is the one you can conceal, shoot well, and have confidence in.

Tack