Kahr PM9, M&P Shield and Walther PPS Range Review
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kahr PM9, M&P Shield and Walther PPS Range Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Kahr PM9, M&P Shield and Walther PPS Range Review

I sold my Glock G27 and I'm looking for something else. I'm currently carrying a S&W .380 Bodyguard. My wife has a M&P 9c that she was going to carry but doesn't yet. I'm really up in the air between the Shield, Walther PPS and maybe the Kahr PM9. I got to shoot all 3 today a the same time back to back at Shoot Straight in Tampa.

The Kahr PM9 had feeding issues big time and the 3 other PM9's they had in stock were very rough gritty glitchy catchy slides and all 3 trigger felt different especially in the pull. The store is not happy with the Kahr's for a while they told me because for every 8 pistols Kahr sends them 3-4 have issues. They also said they have issues with the Kahr brand in general and the Sig P290 and they would not recommend those guns to me.

The Kahr PM9 I shot today was a used broken in gun and it failed to feed a lot with me....I'd load the mag, rack the slide no feed and re-rack and few time and finally get a round in the chamber but the slide would either lock back after the round was fired or go back into position with out feeding another round into the Kahr. I took all the ammo out of the mag and readed to make sure everything was correct...still FTF's. I sort of lost my trust today in Kahr after feeling the new guns and firing the rental gun. Thoughts on Kahr's????? I'm not getting a great impression.

The Shield and PPS shot perfectly, accurate and buttery smooth and felt like great quality guns. Both the Shield and PPS felt good in my hand. This is the 2nd Shield 9mm I've rented and both shot perfectly. The PPS was maybe slightly more accurate for me. I played with these 2 with 100 rounds and just when I thought the PPS shot better I'd then think the Shield shot better. So I'm really up in the air between these 2. The PPS trigger is awesome with a very smooth action and great tactical short reset click. The Shield trigger is smooth too and has a nice tactical reset click but slightly less click than the Walther.

That is what I noticed in these 3 guns from my personal experience with them today at the range.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #2

Liked 262 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 25

cm9 being a fair amont lighter and smaller than the other 2 can be abit more dependent on ammo used and even the shooter. Hard to say. If it is in the rental fleet it sould run well for some shooters. Guess there is no CW9 kahr to try. Closer to the size and weight of your other two handguns. You still have to buy what you like. I have a cm and cw 9 that are great pistols but not for all. My cw came from a disgruntled owner. No idea why ether. . See if you can lay hands on a bersa bp. Good reviews on this one.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #3

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

I have a CM9. Awesome gun. I have had no issues with mine whatsoever.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #4

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

OK...my friend how is a semi-retired Deputy just bought a Kahr PM9. He bought it because that is what a lot of the undercover guys and other deputy's are carrying and all of them have very good things to say about the Kahr.

So he is letting me borrow his PM9 to go shoot. I have a gun now and am heading to the range on Friday. We went over everything at dinner tonight, grip, how to load...do's and dont's.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I had a Kahr PM9 for 2.5 years - never a problem with it. And, I shot it better than a Keltec 32 I previously had (way too long of a pull on that gun). But, the Kahr was never a fun gun to shoot. More kick than I prefer.

I bought a 9mm Shield after renting one - and I was hooked. I sold that PM9 the very first week I had the Shield.

I've since bought a 2nd Shield (after spending 2.5 months looking for another one). And, I have almost 2000 rounds thru them (the pair, combined). The gun has noticeably less recoil than the PM9.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #6

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My choice would be the M&P.

I own a Kahr PM9 and as soon as I can find someone willing to take it at a fair price I will be the proud FORMER owner of a Kahr PM9. I bought it brand new and it has been back to Kahr 2 times in a year. It fails to feed, is very top heavy, jams and isn't very accurate.

I am not a fan of Walthers at all but that is just my opinion.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #7

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

What did the say is wrong with the 290?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #8

I have the Shield in .40 and it shoots great. Very smooth trigger pull and the follow up shot is almost perfect. Not much recoil either. I was expecting it to jump all over since its a .40, but it doesnt.

I also have a Kahr P9 and Ive never had a problem with that either. I have noticed that I had to have a tighter grip on the Kahr so it cycles. If I kept a loose grip then it would fail to feed. I took my 13 y/o to the range and he has tried several of my handguns and his favorite by far is the kahr, he spends all day with it and has never had a problem with it.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
jyo

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, about racking the slide on the Kahr to feed-in the first round---the owners manual clearly states that you must use the slide release. I don't have th PM9 or CM9---I do have two of the slightly larger CW9 pistols (one for me, one for wife) and they have run just fine after a manufacturing issue with the mag release was fixed. I also have a Walther PPS 9mm and it runs 100%, no problems. I feel reliably well-armed with either.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I spent a while at the range today with my friends new PM9.H e had already put 200 rounds through it and says he had zero issues. Well his PM9 shot really well....I started to like it toward the end of my range session. I ran 232 rounds through it and had 1 FTF..nose dive after the 1st few mags. This happened on the 7 round mag after the 1st round fired off....2nd round's nose didn't feed up into the chamber. I took the mag out and racked the slide and the round fell out...I locked the slide back and put the mag back in release the slide and fired the rest of the mag. I then took the round that didn't fire and put it in the next mag and it fired perfectly through that mag.

I noticed that the PM9 still felt new and a little gritty when I first was checking it out and first few mags. After I was done the PM9 feels like BUTTER! It really feels great.

As for me it took around 50 or so rounds to figure out the aim of this gun. I was shooting it low. I adjusted to this and soon was eating out the center of the target at 7 yards. I practiced double taps to the chest and 1 to the head....no issues that went great. For a longer trigger compared to the Glock I personally fired the PM9 really well and had no issues with the trigger. The extended mag feels great and would probably feel perfect with a palm swell Houge type of grip. The short flush mag would conceal better but my pinky finger rests on the bottom of the mag and I only have 2 fingers holding onto the grip...barely... as I have fat fingers.

Shoot Straight is having a Smith and Wesson Demo Day on Saturday so I can go back and shoot the Shield for free. I seem to shoot either gun equally well and I have 100 rounds through a Shield already with zero issues. Really hard decision here!

Money is really no issue but I still watch what I spend....Shield is $280 LESS.....is the Kahr really worth it or not? The issues I had with the ranges gun and the 1 nose dive I had with my friends gun really stick in my head....HUMMMM...I know ya'll have opinions! Well???

Thanks!