Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Kahr cw 9 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/kahr-cw-9-a-65091/)

gibbs45 05-24-2012 11:06 PM

Kahr cw 9

Just picked up my first one,what does everyone think of them for ccw . Any info I should know

Tackleberry1 05-24-2012 11:11 PM

No manual safety or trigger safety but with Kahrs Loooong trigger pull, it should not mater. Just invest in a quality leather or Kydex holster that completely covers the trigger area so there is no chance of a foreign object acting on the trigger while carrying.

I've been packing my Kahr PM 9 daily for 5 years now with no issues. Great gun and there slim profile and excellent triggers make the a top CCW choice for those of us who have carried "about everything else" over the years.

Enjoy and be safe.

Tack

Westy 05-26-2012 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a CW9 and think it's a great carry gun. I probably have over 500 practice rounds through it and have never had one issue. My only issue is the sharp point of the trigger seems to pinch my finger once in a while.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/any-kahr-cw9-owners-out-there-trigger-question-47202/

Great gun!

taosgunguy 05-26-2012 02:52 PM

I have a CW40, great gun, but really like the CM9, as it drops into my back jeans pocket and disappears.

Polygon 05-26-2012 04:24 PM

I also have a PM9 and I can't say I've been very happy with it. It's had nothing but problems. It's back at Kahr right now for repair to see if they can figure it out. The majority never have problems with these guns outside the break in period. Some never have problems at all. It seems there are a couple of people that just get the short end of the stick and it seems I was one of them. Besides the fact that it's not been reliable for me, I love the gun. It's very accurate and I love the form factor. Now if I could only getting cycling reliably. I can't wait to get it back from Kahr.

SecretAsianMan 05-29-2012 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I purchase Kahr CW9 recently, and it is a perfect pistol for my rather smaller hand. I tried Glock 19, Ruger SR9C, and a few other "compact" pistols, but none of them felt right in my hands. When I went to a local gun show recently, I picked up Kahr CW9, and this one felt so right in my hand! I bought an extra mag, since CW9 mag only holds 7 (plus 1 in a chamber). I might get another mag for it soon. As soon as I got it, a few things kept me away from going to the range, but I'm looking forward to getting out there and spend one afternoon, trying out a few hundred rounds!

sweeper22 05-29-2012 08:24 PM

I think the CW9 is a decent carry gun at a very fair price.

But the ultra-mushy and long trigger pull was enough to keep me away. I went with the S&W Shield, which is basically identical in size. Either is fine. It really just depends on your preferences. I like that the Shield handles like more of a medium combat gun. I don't mind it's thumb safety, as I tend to rely on a BHP, 1911, and CZ 75 for most of my range shooting and home defense. For others, that thumb safety would be an absolute deal-breaker on a carry gun.

G23LCPK45 05-30-2012 02:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SecretAsianMan
I purchase Kahr CW9 recently, and it is a perfect pistol for my rather smaller hand. I tried Glock 19, Ruger SR9C, and a few other "compact" pistols, but none of them felt right in my hands. When I went to a local gun show recently, I picked up Kahr CW9, and this one felt so right in my hand! I bought an extra mag, since CW9 mag only holds 7 (plus 1 in a chamber). I might get another mag for it soon. As soon as I got it, a few things kept me away from going to the range, but I'm looking forward to getting out there and spend one afternoon, trying out a few hundred rounds!

I enjoy my CW45 in summer. Tee shirt and shorts, no need for 15 rounds and an extra mag; travel light my friend unless you find yourself in bear or welfare country.

hardluk1 05-30-2012 02:10 PM

Seems guys that grew up shooting revolvers like the trigger, others hate it. There use to short trigger pulls. The trigger pull is only 3/8" stroke, smooth and fairly lite in weight. You may find that for a newbe to small pistols it is hard to control. You can buy different soft rubber slip-ons to aid with aids with grip or make your own with a bicycle inner tube.

When brand new it has a more than heavy recoil spring that can be a pain to some to get back in place during clean up but after a few hundred rounds it will soften a bit.

If you use 115gr practice ammo and have any cycleing issue at first try to use 124gr ammo. After a couple box's it will shot anything.

Take yours apart clean it well and get to know it. The plastic rails that we all look at as the guide rails on the kahrs will wear some at first. They are there to aid in assemble. Take note that the slide runs on the 2 embedded metal pieces at the back of the slide and the 2 sheet metal pieces down where the recoil spring works. The rest is there just to help us re-assemble the pistol. And because thats where they except rail to run.

Now go shooting an enjoy. The reason for mentioning the soft rubber to aid grip is because at my first range trip with the cw9 I let that sucker wear thru a couple layers of skin on my thumbs rear knukle before I knew it. 2 weeks 2 heal up. Got a nice callus there now. hehe I have cw9 and cm9 and carry 124gr +P gold dot. Check out comp-tac for holster. Nice products there.

SecretAsianMan 05-30-2012 05:13 PM

Thanks for the heads-up and feedback. I've got a plenty of 115-grain FMJ rounds for the range this weekend (hopefully...), so I will see how it performs with those rounds. I will run a few boxes of those, and then clean it as you instructed.

By the way, which Comp-Tac holster do you use for carry?