Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Just picked up a Ruger P85

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just picked up a Ruger P85

Went to a new gun store today and found a deal I couldn't pass up. Picked up a used P85 for $200 out the door. It is a former police officer's carry. Brought it home and cleaned it up and looks pretty nice, especially for $200. The bluing is a little rough, but everything else looks good. Also came with the Hogue grips which are really nice. I'll post a pic as soon as I find my camera!

You guys are such a bad influence. 3 new guns in 3 weeks...

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Last edited by kodiak1973; 06-16-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2009, 01:13 AM   #2

Ok. Here are some pics. Not the greatest, but my camera's gone AWOL.

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’

Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When my dad retired from law enforcement, the agency he had worked for wouldn't give him his gun. It was a S&W 38 Chiefs Special that he had carried for 37 years. The outfit had long switched to a double stacked Tupperware wonder gun, but he had wanted, and was allowed, to continue on with the 5 shot S&W. I can still picture those 158 grain lead round nose bullets, no high tech +P or Black Talons.
Anyway, it was a new Ruger P85 that he when out and got after he retired. Dad said then that he liked the gun because it was "all business". I have to agree. The gun now sports some rubber grips (Houge if I remember right) and I got him a "plastic" holster a few years ago. He's now 81 and still shoots the Ruger. I offered to get him a S&W Classic Chiefs Special when they came out,,,,,, but dad said no. He said he likes that Ruger and doesn't miss the S&W. Then after a pause he adds, "They should have given me that damn gun!"

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:37 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Very nice Ruger P85. Looking forward to the range report.

Give it a real good cleaning before you shoot it, and it should run like a sewing machine.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #5

I spent an hour today cleaning it real good and it made a big difference! Going out later this weeks since I'm on vacation this week! I'll definitely let everybody know how it goes. The guy threw in a box of ammo with the deal.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:44 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Good purchase! I loved my ruger p89dc, wish I still had it.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:13 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congrats. A range report is expected forthwith.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams