Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Just got a FNX-9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Just got a FNX-9

Traded a Ruger Mark III 22/45 Target Model, a box of .22 ammo and some $$$ to get this pistol from a private transaction. Figure with my cost of the Ruger and ammo I have right at $480 in this gun.

I want to try my hand at USPSA and figure that a DA/SA would be the way to go. Anybody out there that has one that can offer some insights on putting on a set of adjustable sights? I've checked Brownells and Midway. I don't see anything specific to this gun. I'll also need to pick up a kydex paddle holster.

Hoping to get out to go shoot it tomorrow evening. I'm really looking forward to trying this one out.

Here is the necessary pics:

image.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #2

Liked 401 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Nice. I really like the looks of the FNX-9 and was told it is an evolution of the Hi-Power, which I'm not sure is true.

Fired the DAO FNS-40 and wasn't super impressed. I felt like it would be better as a DA/SA. Would love to hear your impressions of it after a range trip.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Old 09-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Got out to my range today. Let me say I am impressed. Got just over 100 rounds of my 147gr reloads through it. No feeding or ejecting issues. It does eject the brass right at my feet. The DA trigger is heavy but in SA it has a very nice trigger. I tried a mag worth of my 125gr reloads and the recoil is sharper and harder to stay on target.

I was trying some drills for trying to use this pistol in USPSA. No problem keeping everything in the A zone at 3 yards no matter how fast I tried to go. At 7 yards very manageable to stay accurate. I like the tight rear blade that all three dots are right next to each other. Makes for a good sight picture and easy target acquisition.

Overall I am very happy with my new 9mm and it might make my Ruger SR9 expendable.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My wife has the FNX-9 and I have the FNX-45 - I'm still getting used to the FNX I've had the Glock 21 since 1999, but I liked my wife's so much that I decided to change too.

With the 9 I do have the occasional issue with cheap ammo. But we probably have a good 200 rounds of Speer Gold Dots with no issues, and our favorite practice ammo, Speer Lawman 115gr has never failed. It is just so hard to find the good stuff these days .

Get to know your FNX. If you are cocked and locked, practice going from safe to not without decocking, I still can't do it 100 times in a row . The FNX has some serious travel on the slide - more than any firearm I've ever owned. I think this is why my son had some limp wrist trouble early on.

Most importantly, enjoy your 18 rounds of 9mm firepower!

J

Old 09-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
Nice. I really like the looks of the FNX-9 and was told it is an evolution of the Hi-Power, which I'm not sure is true.

Fired the DAO FNS-40 and wasn't super impressed. I felt like it would be better as a DA/SA. Would love to hear your impressions of it after a range trip.
I don't know what FNH is doing with the FNS models, I guess it is the case of, everyone else is doing it, so we should too.

As much as I like the FNX's, I'd go with a Glock or M&P or a Ruger over an FNS.

J

Old 09-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephMD View Post
I don't know what FNH is doing with the FNS models, I guess it is the case of, everyone else is doing it, so we should too.

As much as I like the FNX's, I'd go with a Glock or M&P or a Ruger over an FNS.

J
The FNS is around the $600 mark and you can get into other proven brands for the same or less. I was looking for a DA/SA and this one popped up on a gun trading website.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #7

Liked 401 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 84

So far it sounds like the FNX execution might have gone better than the FNS.

I wish my local range rented them.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Newest Threads