Just got a Beretta PX4 Storm! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Just got a Beretta PX4 Storm!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Go here and select your handgun and loads for effectiveness.

Stopping Power

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #12

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Ah, neat! I wonder if they have those at the range, or if I am allowed to bring my own targets there. Either way, is there anywhere in particular you recommend I get the targets from?
Every time I place an order with MidwayUSA I check what targets are on sale, there's always a sale!

Here's the current 'on sale' targets;

Caldwell Targets Orange Peel 5.5" Self-Adhesive Bullseye 50 Sheet Pack Factory Seconds - MidwayUSA

(<15¢/target is a steal for show-me targets!)

Midway lists them as factory seconds but I've been buying them for years and never found the reason for 2nd, I managed to penetrate everyone with my #2 pencil.

As far as being allowed to take your targets to the range I follow 'Stuart's Law of Retroaction' simply stated, "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

Any range worth it's salt will not require you to buy anything but 'time'. If they do, find another range!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I've never seen or heard anything to indicate that HydraShoks are any less effective than the other major HP staples (Ranger Talon, Gold Dot, Golden Saber, etc).

One defense ammo tip that does seem to have some traction is that heavier is not always better for many loads. There's a lot of evidence out there that it's best to stick to the lighter weights for 9mm, 357sig, 357mag (all 125gr, as opposed to the 140+ stuff), as well as 40sw and 10mm (135-165gr, rather than 180gr).

I know there's always the "bigger hole" argument, but the speed and expansion of the lighter JHPs often answer than question just fine.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #14

Hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Nice! But just wait until you get into rifles...now that is loud.
You might want to research hollow point ammo because from what I've heard and read Hydra-Shok isnt too great for defense. Just my eleventeen cents.
Those rounds I have are hollow points, or no? Take a look at the top picture. Or do I have my ammunition lore totally mixed up? The ones I got are low recoil and reputedly expand really well, so I don't have to worry about shooting through eighteen walls and killing my neighbor's cat or some such.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #16

Thanks for the great tip! I will definitely go there and check out what they have! I actually think the range I go to will allow me to bring my own targets because when I was there the lady at the counter did ask me if I needed targets as well.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It sounds like you picked one that you enjoy shooting; i think that is one of the most important things to want in a handgun.

You mentioned that it was "loud"; i hope you are using some kind of hearing protection. The cheapo foam earplugs help some & are fairly non-annoying to me. I plan to pick up some better ear muff type hearing protection soon.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
It sounds like you picked one that you enjoy shooting; i think that is one of the most important things to want in a handgun.

You mentioned that it was "loud"; i hope you are using some kind of hearing protection. The cheapo foam earplugs help some & are fairly non-annoying to me. I plan to pick up some better ear muff type hearing protection soon.
Yeah, I was using ear protection, I used the muff type. It was my first time at a range, ever, so I was a bit jumpy at first! Passed after the first clip or so that I fired.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #19

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
I just purchased a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm Model F the other week and I am really excited about this handgun! I took it to the range the same day that I bought it and put 150 rounds through it. Flawless. This is the first handgun I have ever owned, let alone fired. So with average groupings of around 2-3 inches at 7 yards, I am not too ashamed. My first trip to the range was scary loud, especially since there was one guy on either side of me firing off .45 ACPs at regular intervals. I jumped like a spooked buck every time they fired.

Now for some pictures of this beautiful piece of Italian engineering (shown here with some Federal Premium 135gr Hydra-Shok JHPs):

I am going to the range again some time soon so I will post a range report when I do. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what types of targets I should start out with for my range report?

Also, let me know if the images stop working since I copied the URLs from inside my Picasa Web album.
Good choice! I had one in .40 and really liked it.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #20

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Nice! But just wait until you get into rifles...now that is loud.
You might want to research hollow point ammo because from what I've heard and read Hydra-Shok isnt too great for defense. Just my eleventeen cents.
Huh? Never heard that before!

Tags
beretta, new gun, newbie, px4, storm