Jimenez 9mm - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Jimenez 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

From an engineering standpoint the Jimenez is a good gun. But the 9mm model isn't very desirable. If you like working on guns to see what they will do a JA-22 is pretty cool. I would pass on the JA-9. Aside of it being made of pot metal it weighs 40 oz or something ridiculous. On the upside it's far more accurate than a lot of guns that people highly tout.

It is funny how people who have never owned a gun are quick to down it. A Hi Point is made of pot metal and plastic. Yet they recommend the hi point. They both are equal quality. If you understand how springs work a Jimenez is actually a better gun than a hi point. It has a much faster cyclic rate. It has adjustable sights. The problem is to make a Jimenez dependable you have to get free spring stock from Jimenez and cut it yourself by trial and error.

If your buddy will come down to $50 and you don't own a gun I would buy it.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-01-2012, 05:00 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

New and out of the box, a Hi-Point will reliably shoot as designed. Not going to argue the pot metal and plastic material that it is indeed made of, but I will at least say they have decent QC and customer service.

On the other hand, I have personally seen a friend buy a new Jimenez, and before even going through 20 rounds the gun was jamming up and kept failing to feed properly. After looking it over, the chamber was not deburred during QC so as to allow the round from ejecting as designed. Granted, a week later after taking the Jimenez apart & polishing it out as well as having to buy a new magazine, my friend reportedly told me that it stopped having FTE issues.

IMHO, spend the marginal extra on a Hi-Point if you want to save yourself the labor of doing what should have already been done by quality control by Jimenez. I have no delusions of both guns still being pot metal, but unless you feel like paying for an "unfinished" gun to educate yourself on how it oughtta have been finished, than avoid the Jimenez.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #13

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Jimenez has a really good striker fired design. If someone made the exact same gun with quality materials, decent quality control and of course another name they would bring $500. On the other hand if you brought John Browning back from the dead he couldn't improve the Hi Point design.

I have a JA-22 I have put a bunch of work into it. My neighbors kid is 14 and a crack shot. He embarasses a lot of people with very nice guns with my little JA-22. All it takes is a lil too much bragging and the kid gets a free range session so we can get a good laugh. He just tears up a USPALMA 75 foot smallbore rifle target at 75 feet with it.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #14

Liked 459 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun
Dont do it!!!!!! Its a time bomb.
What tac said. There's a reason this guy wants to get rid of it.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #15

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Do a google search for "ring of fire handguns"- explains the saga of Raven, Jennings, Jiminez, etc.

They are very good paperweights. Whatever you do, do not load one. You might accidentally fire it.
Don't discard this advice, just because it's free.

You want a good weapon for that kind of money, buy a knife.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #16

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

I saw a j-9 detonate. Not fun

Old 11-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #17

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

I've had great luck with mine, but would recommend one of their little 22s over the larger calibers, because of the potmetal they use, which is terrible and does have a shelf life.

I say this, if you keep in mond that its just a plinker, one which you should put no more than a hundred or so rounds thru each time shooting, and you inspect it thoroughly every cleaning after, you'll have a fine gun that'll probably last ya decades.

Mine, which I gave to my brother, was very accurate amd took everything without a single jam or failure of any sort. I can't tell you exactly how many rounds but upwards of 2500-3k.

$75 is a great price and I'd snag it for that.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #18

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My mom has a JA22. I'd like one too. I have a hedge trimmer I picked up on the side of the road I'm trying to trade for one.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

my bryco jennings nine blew up in my hands once. brand new 20 rounds and in the 3rd clip it popped. cracked the frame and the slide managed to fly down range. luckily i was not hurt. i got a jiminez or whatever frame given to me. royal trash. i refuse to put a sear in it. or else it will be dangerous again. its going in a nearby pond taken apart into components scattered around the place.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #20

Liked 1037 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 16

bryco/jennings/jiminez firearms are a dangerous liability and should be destroyed!