Are Jennings pistols total garbage?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Are Jennings pistols total garbage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Are Jennings pistols total garbage?

Looking at getting a cheap plinker gun for my cousin, wanted to know if Jennings is worth the slim price tag.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidalforce79 View Post
Looking at getting a cheap plinker gun for my cousin, wanted to know if Jennings is worth the slim price tag.
In a word: NO

You've started threads on a lot of different handguns in the past week and all we can give you is our opinion. You really need to find a range that rents and try them for yourself...

Last edited by NGIB; 10-30-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

My cousin knows that I am well versed in handguns and 3 or 4 years ago asked me to recommend a 9mm pistol that would be small enough for everyday carry, lightweight, and relatively inexpensive.

I recommended three types from the cheapest I would trust with increasing expense. The first was a Kel-tec PF-9 9mm for around $300, the second was a Taurus PT111 for between $350 and $400, and the last was a Glock 19 or 26 for around $500. He didn't want to spend more than $500.

The prices are from a local store in my area.

Two days later he said that I was totally wrong he got a 9mm for $140. He was bragging. I said "its a Jennings isn't it."

He said a "Bryco Model 59." I simply responded same thing, and have fun while it lasts.

Two weeks later he set me this image:

Attachment 20970

He said he took it shooting and after 18 rounds this happened.
I re-recommended the same three guns and said listen to me this time.

He did and now owns a Taurus Pt-111 and a Ruger SR9c (that he just bought).

What you should know is that the Jennings, Bryco, Jimenez, Raven, or whatever name are all the same "ring of fire" guns.

Here is some more info:

Attachment 20971

I always warn people to avoid them.
If you don't mention the above names to people looking to buy then they won't know of the potential problem

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 11-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Sure their smaller guns, like the JA-380 are cute, and feel good in the hand, but I've seen MANY of these come in my store for repair. Mostly because the firing pin retainer/takedown button is broken.
I agree with mesinge2, cheapest gun I would trust would be a Kel Tec.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
In a word: NO

You've started threads on a lot of different handguns in the past week and all we can give you is our opinion. You really need to find a range that rents and try them for yourself...
Your opinion is what I want ..........my dad has always had a Colt and a Desert Eagle, two pretty expensive guns, that were well built(although the DE recoil springs are disappointing). However, my dad made quite a bit more money then I do so I wont be able to drop as much bucks into these weapons as he could(at least at first). Consequently, I don't know much about these so called "budget" guns. I could fire one and love it, but it could be a total lemon on the inside.That's why I've been asking you guys about a variety of different options, cause you guys know a large amount more about what guns are well built then I do at this point.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

You seem more interested in autos that revolvers so I'll just show you some cheaper autos.
FWIW, when I say cheaper I mean inexpensive and "not of poor quality"
For a cheaper carry auto I would look to a Taurus, Kel-tec, or older Rugers.

But here are the pieces I would consider: the top one being the most expensive of the list. I do not have personal experience with the zastava M88 but I have heard good things.

Attachment 20977
Attachment 20981
Attachment 20978
Attachment 20979
Attachment 20980

Old 10-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Hi points are reliable and inexpensive but huge for a 9mm and ugly to boot. Furthermore, the 45 version looks like a power drill:

Attachment 20982

Old 10-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #8

I looked at one once and thought about buying it. I'm not that knowledgeable either but a new 380 for under $200 made no sense to me. Dirt cheap price means dirt cheap made and that's true no matter what your buying. I decided to do some research before buying and I'm glad I did. Along with simply being crappy they won't cycle hollow point ammo. Solids only and that's a deal breaker for me.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your a#% out all day long!

Big Gun + BIGGER BANG = lower stress

Old 10-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If inexpensive is what you want then look for it. But cheap is not the same thing. Those Jennings pistols are cheap. THe ones stated above are more inexpensive. I might even add Bersa to the list but those are hit and miss too.

I think about this when I'm buying a firearm. Is it cheaper to buy something I'll have to replace? And how much is my life worth. No, you don't have to spend a grand to get a decent weapon. But when buying a firearm it can get real pricey when we try to go real cheap.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
[...] The ones stated above are more inexpensive. I might even add Bersa to the list but those are hit and miss too. [...]
Of course my list is by no means exhaustive just some examples off the top of my head. Also, you should try out as many as it takes until you find one that is right for YOU. Don't just buy something that some random unknown internet dude said, but don't buy tin foil shaped like a gun either just because it saves you some clams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
[...] And how much is my life worth. [...] when buying a firearm it can get real pricey when we try to go real cheap.
I agree with this statement 100%.

Last edited by mesinge2; 10-30-2010 at 10:01 PM.