Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > jennings j22 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1421 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 994

I have a J-22. I bought it when I was poor. I actually had to save up the 50 bucks it cost me back then. It would have taken years to get something better. I found that CCI Velocitors worked even better than Stingers. Mine would cycle pretty reliably with either. But anything cheap would jam with every shot. Don't get me wrong...Jennings are crap. But if that is all you have, then that is all you have. Go to the range and make the best of it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #12

Liked 252 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 361

If I was buying a saturday night special in .22LR Id be going for the phoenix hp22a , much better gun for the money. and they are hungry little guns that will eat pretty much whatever you feed them .... on the internet you can findem for 125 out the door + your ffl transfer and backround at local dealer . they are pot metal guns but everyone ive ever known that owned one loved it . great little plinker. only down side is all the goofy safeties , theres one that is recommended you disable I think its the mag safety or somthing so you can rack the slide with the mag out for breakdown,

jennings are ghetto blasters . every jennings I even owned was junk

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #13

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrea68
ok so about a week ago i went to the range to just have some fun with my rifles and pistols and i went to go shoot my jennings j22 , so ok i got a few rounds perfectly shot and then a jam now i know how a jennings jams like crazy but is there any way i can modify my jennings to stop it from jamming
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
sell it asap
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

OMG- Them things have their own fourm
Turn it into a paper weight or throw it someones head??

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 01-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I inherited one in the 90s along with a Colt Trooper mkIII, Taurus PT 92, and Winchester 101. I have shot it a few times, I still have all my fingers. I was warned to use good ammo ( cci mini mags) it works fine. I've only tried it at a range once I could not hit a 4 ft piece of cardbord consistently from 25 ft, when I did the bullet tumbled onto the Target sideways.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #15

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb View Post
I inherited one in the 90s along with a Colt Trooper mkIII, Taurus PT 92, and Winchester 101. I have shot it a few times, I still have all my fingers. I was warned to use good ammo ( cci mini mags) it works fine. I've only tried it at a range once I could not hit a 4 ft piece of cardbord consistently from 25 ft, when I did the bullet tumbled onto the Target sideways.
3 outta 4 is not bad

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #16
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

3 outta 4 is not bad
Amen brother

Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #17

I was once a proud owner of a j-22 and I can say I never really had an issue with jamming but I planted a round in the ground by my feet. A slam fire is a bad thing, but it only happened once. I was impressed with the accuracy for such a short barrel I actually mutilated a pop can at 20 yards. Besides the one slamfire I loved my Jennings butI think that I was lucky.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1015 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Jennings are striker fired pistols. The firing pin spring controls the timing of the pistol. Jennings doesn't have a firing pin spring they provide. They just cut the springs out of a piece of stock that is about twice the size that is required. Call Jennings and tell them what you have going on. They will send you a piece of spring stock.

Cut the spring stock several coils longer than the spring that is in the gun. Install the firing pin spring. Shoot it a few times. If it still jams cut a coil off the spring. Repeat this process until the gun runs perfectly. When you get about 2 coils longer than the original spring only cut a half a coil at a time.

If your Jennings is new it needs to be broke in just like any other pistol. If you bought it used make sure the slide is not bent. You can carry a Jennings in your front pocket but they don't fair so well in the back pocket. But not many mouse guns do fare well in the back pocket.

I have fixed several Jennings by this method. It will serve you well once you get it functioning well. I own a JA 22 that I have put several thousand rounds through without issue. Just clean it after each use. If it has sit for several months without any attention pop the slide off it and lubricate it before firing it. I don't recommend using grease on a Jennings. They are usually carried in the pocket. Lint gets in the grease and it will let you down at the worse possible moment.

People that can't fix a Jennings should not give advice on firearms repair. They must not understand how semi automatic pistols work. They are by far the easiest pistol to keep running flawlessly.

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-26-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2279 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Clean it well, light lube, minimags or CCI Stingers. Other than that, it is what it is.
I caution the use of stingers.
Even the manufacturer says it should only be used in certain chambers.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0050

Most small semi-auto .22s suggest using HV ammo. Read the owner's manual and see if the Jennings does too.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Last edited by danf_fl; 01-26-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1015 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Stingers and other high velocity ammo has never hurt my JA-22. I shoot mini mags in mine. It is a 22 you don't want a hollow point bullet for self defense. I shoot any bulk ammo I can get my hands on for target practice. Yes, it hangs up and has some duds. But every semi auto 22 I have ever seen hangs up and fails to fire with bulk ammo. You get what you pay for and you don't get a lot for .03.

You all are so quick to bash the JA-22 but I know several people that can buy any gun they want. They have a JA-22 to put in between bank bags when they close their business. These people hunt and belong to ranges. They could easy buy a better 22. If you talk junk about their lil JA-22 like you all do in this forum they would certainly tell you to go stand outside and see if it does all that. Unless you happened to have cash on hand. Then you would have to put your money where your mouth is and leave there broke.

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-26-2013 at 12:06 PM.