Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Jennings .22lr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Jennings .22lr

I bought a jennings 22lr and it seems like the only ammo it fires is cci high velocity stingers...any other ammo jams a lot. Can someone tell me why? Can it be fixed?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Well, the reason for that is that the gun is just not very well made. It is basically a Saturday night special. What you are experiencing is completely normal with a Jennings, they are usually finicky with ammo.
There have actually been occasions where a .22 Jennings has gone full auto on someone. The best thing to do if it does that is get rid of it, fast. A lake usually works well for this. Also, never speak of it again. The BATFE wouldn't hesitate to throw someone in federal prison for a very long time, regardless if it was your fault or not that it went full auto. I'm not saying it will go full auto on you, I'm just saying it's possible. Most won't ever go full auto.
As for fixing it, maybe some of the gunsmiths around here would know what you could do.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 05-24-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:55 AM   #3

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

With a gun like the Jennings, if you find an ammo that works well just stick with it. It's not made for a lot of shooting and you lucked on which one works already. As far as gunsmithing I always avoided them in my shop because no matter what I did to the gun, even just replacing a grip screw, when and I do mean When something went wrong I had worked on it. There's no winning on a gun like that.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 05-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #4

Liked 1680 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

I have a Jennings J-22. It mostly just sits in the safe. It will cycle Mini-Mags, Stingers and Velocitors fairly reliably. Do not carry it around with a round in the chamber. That would be very unsafe. I do not use mine for anything other than plinking at the range. The cleaner you keep it the better it will work. If I was you I would save up for something a little better. If money is tight you could look at a High Point. I would not be surprised to see a used one for $100. High Points are cheap but actually good guns. Your Jennings can be fun until you get something better. Be sure to wear eye protection.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #5

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefgrundt7451
I bought a jennings 22lr and it seems like the only ammo it fires is cci high velocity stingers...any other ammo jams a lot. Can someone tell me why? Can it be fixed?
Jennings- bryco/ jiminez firearms, otherwise known as "saturday night specials" and "throw down guns". They are one of the worst guns ever made,and are known for their catastrophic failures. It would be more expensive getting the gun fixed then it would to just to buy a new one "not a jennings". Im not being an azz, its the truth.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 05-24-2012 at 02:56 AM.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2663 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

I don't know about the Jennings, but my PPK/s requires HV ammo.
Standard velocity does not have enough power to overcome the mainspring reliably to cock the hammer.

Understand that the problem is not normally with a rifle. The longer barrel provides a higher velocity than the short handgun. Some handguns are designed for standard velocity ammo.

As said before, find the one that works and stay with it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #7

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

I have a Sig Mosquito that's very picky on ammo. CCI Mini Mags cycle well and almost nothing else. Some guns are just picky

Old 05-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

The gunsmith at the LGS that I work flat out tells people that working on a Jennings is a losing proposition. He won't take them in for repair. Just not worth the headache.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #9

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

That's been my feeling on them since the first one showed up on my bench in the early 80's. I won't even take them in trade because I wouldn't be willing to sell it to anyone!

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 1745

Is the Jennings one of those jewels that have plastic internal parts?