Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   JD---- I ventured out into the new world (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/jd-i-ventured-out-into-new-world-12241/)

iloveguns 03-26-2009 03:18 PM

JD---- I ventured out into the new world

Well for the first time in my life, I don't own a Glock. I traded my last Glock for a Springfield Champion 1911 and a Sig Sauer Mosquito.

I really think I got a great deal. Now I just have to shoot them.

So JD as promised here are the pictures. I know I suck at taking photos that is why I stick to shooting my guns and not camera's:D

Dillinger 03-26-2009 03:21 PM

You know what bro, that gun is in pretty good shape for being 25 years old, depending on what the throat and barrel look like.

Get that baby re-blued and it would be a piece of history that you can pass down to your kids.

Great choice - getting away from plastic is always a good move, but getting a true piece of history like that 1911 will be something that will keep you safe and be reliable long after you fondness to plastic wears off. :D

And you got a Sig Mosquito too?? Wow, good trade in my books ( depending on condition of course )

JD

iloveguns 03-26-2009 03:26 PM

The inside looks awesome bro. The captain of the sheriff's dept took out the springfield and shot it and said it shoots great.

The Sig only has 250 rounds down it. Yeah for the first time in my life I got the good end of the deal. I even tried to give him my mossberg plinkster just to make the deal a lil better for him and he wouldn't have it.So who am I to argue:D

Now that you have seen it can you tell me anything about it? I tried to look it up last night in my gun book and couldn't find anything about it.

stalkingbear 03-26-2009 03:31 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of 1911s. You realize their main flaw is they get lonely-1911s are herd creatures. That means you'll be wanting to add another to keep that 1 company, then another, then another.:cool: This isn't a bad thing unless you're a poor boy like me that has to save pennies in order to buy "gun stuff" for myself. Honestly, and in all fairness, the wife only cracked down on me after I spent in excess of 40K on "gun stuff".:o

Dillinger 03-26-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iloveguns (Post 87180)

Now that you have seen it can you tell me anything about it? I tried to look it up last night in my gun book and couldn't find anything about it.

As far as what? History? What I would do to the gun? Or what?

I know a lot about the early history of the 1911, and I know a lot about today's 1911 platforms, but the stuff in the middle is a complete void in my area, it's just not anything that I have studied.

You already have the Commander style hammer, I was expecting the more common spur style, but I don't know when manufacturers switched as a common practice. I know we did a spur to Commander upgrade on a '67 or '68 Colt for a guy, but that is about it for middle of the era guns that I have worked on.

It would appear you don't have a full length guide rod, which will make for much easier field break down.

You don't have the extended mag release, or the extended slide release, so it looks like the gun hasn't been modified too much, so it's probably pretty stock.

You do have the crescent shaped slide release maring that is common on first owned 1911's. I did the same damn thing to mine when I first got it...:o

Looks like you have a good, positive grip safety already on there, and the trigger looks like it might aluminum, not steel, so it might have been changed out, or maybe it's just the photo.

I think with a little investment in some upkeep on what you have, you will have a fine collection/shooting piece that will serve you right for a few decades, easy....

JD

iloveguns 03-26-2009 03:46 PM

You just answered pretty much most of my questions. The only other question is what do you think it is worth?:D

And yes I am already looking into rebluing it.:D

Dillinger 03-26-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iloveguns (Post 87189)
You just answered pretty much most of my questions. The only other question is what do you think it is worth?:D

Really not my area of expertise. I would defer to someone like Bob Wright, or Ronsereplus, or perhaps one of our vendors. I am not really good with older gun prices, and would hate to get your hopes up.

I will say that, personally, I would put the value of that weapon, in "as is" condition at a higher value than any new Glock, just based on the quality in the steel ( I'm betting that was American Steel used in the manufacturing of that piece ) and the historical significance, it's 25 years old and still going strong.... :D

JD

iloveguns 03-26-2009 04:16 PM

Cool Thanks JD.

I will start another thread asking about the value. Thanks for all the help brother.:D

CA357 03-26-2009 04:28 PM

I don't know much about the Mosquito, but I've heard good things. The Champion should be a great shooter in the condition you describe. As far as rebluing it, that will lower the value to a collector. If your ultimate goal is to keep it and use it, then it won't matter if you reblue it or not. That's up to you.

Do what makes you happy. :cool:

iloveguns 03-26-2009 10:23 PM

I figured the almighty Cane would have something to say. But then I thought about it and it hit me, this isn't a COLT.:D