Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Is this an issue? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/issue-43380/)

WDbeej 06-03-2011 07:00 AM

Is this an issue?

Bought a Smith & Wesson M&P9 a little while ago. Been having a good time at the range with it. Noticing that when I am inserting a new loaded magazine into the pistol, and I give it a little slap to seat it, more times than not the slide will rack without me hitting the release.
I brought this to the attention of the gunsmith and he could not get it to do it with three magazines. He said I must not be keeping my wrist tight enough and the gun was not recoiling properly as a result. Well, now I can get the slide to advance when I forcefully insert the magazine into the gun, with the slide pulled back manually.
Is this an issue that I need to have fixed? Can this cause an AD/ND? Or, can I just chalk it up to being a quirk of this gun and knowing this just be even more carefull when loading it?

danf_fl 06-03-2011 09:38 AM

How hard are you seating the mags?
It sounds like when a loaded mag is seated, you do it with enough force to "bounce" the slide stop out of place. The reason it will not do it with an empty is because the follower in the mag is activating the slide stop, when loaded, the follower cannot activate the stop.

Wambli 06-03-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 516796)
It sounds like when a loaded mag is seated, you do it with enough force to "bounce" the slide stop out of place. The reason it will not do it with an empty is because the follower in the mag is activating the slide stop, when loaded, the follower cannot activate the stop.

What he said... That happens a lot (almost 100% consistent) with my HKs when I'm doing my drills with full mags. I no only not care but actually consider it a plus. And no you can't gat an AD out of it, it is the same as racking the slide manually.

As long as it is not happening when you insert a full mag slowly and the slide is being held safely in place otherwise I would not give it a second thought.

WDbeej 06-03-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 516796)

I would not say that I am using excessive force when seating the magazine, just doing it with a little authority. The force is no more than can be generated with my hands starting less than 2 inches apart.

mesinge2 06-03-2011 03:00 PM

Just make sure your finger is OFF THE TRIGGER when you seat a fresh mag and you'll be fine. I have an old 1911 that does this if I ram a mag home.

MB44 06-05-2011 05:29 PM

I get uncomfortable when stuff like that starts to happen. The slide should stay put until you manipulate the slide release, or rack the slide manually, no matter how hard you slam the magazine into the gun.... end of story. I would have the magazine release checked.

HOSSFLY 06-05-2011 08:32 PM

It would'nt bother me at all-
You're going to want the slide to slide home anyway!
That can save a full second in getting another shot off :cool:

Olympus 06-05-2011 09:02 PM

I'd personally be a little leery of this. All it takes is for a buddy to say "Hey! Lemme shoot thing" and you either A) forget to tell him/her about the slide problem or B) they ram home a mag before you can get the words out of your mouth and they've got their finger in trigger guard. Recipe for an accidental discharge to me.

If you know for a fact that you are the only person that will ever shoot that gun then probably not so much of a problem. But I like to let people try my guns and I want them all functioning exactly as they are supposed to. Guns can be dangerous enough for some people when they are working correctly. I'm sure if you call S&W and tell them about this and express a "safety concern", they'll issue you a call tag and have that thing picked up, fixed, and back in no time without any cost to you. Just my two cents...

danf_fl 06-05-2011 10:48 PM

A handgun that was in my possession had the problem of the slide stop activating while shooting.
I found the problem to be the face of the slide stop was cut at the wrong angle. Replace the slide stop, and problem went away.

armsmaster270 06-07-2011 05:04 AM

Put an empty brass or a dummy round in the magazine and try seating the mag in your normal way.