Info/ Opinions on SD40VE - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Info/ Opinions on SD40VE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You may be thinking of the sigma or possibly the sd.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #22

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The only downside to any of the Sigma pistols is the triggers really long pull along with the about 12# pull. This can be remedied to a point wit ha striker spring change and some polishing but the best I've been able to get them to is about 4-5#. The biggest issue I had with the trigger after all that is you can not feel when the trigger will break like with many other striker fired pistols. So muscle memory really comes into play with them. The pull is smooth all the way back and it doesn't have that little catch like a Glock or XD will just before re the trigger breaks.

Accuracy is really good once you get used to the trigger travel and pull weight. They stack up pretty well against many other similar pistols. I've always thought they felt better than a Glock. I will say the Glock's trigger is easier to get used to though.

Bottom line is they are a great pistol of the money. I have not seen any pistol coming in near as affordable out of the box that can group as well. Yeah, they do take a little getting used to but if you've show DA/DAO pistols it really isn't much of an issue. And they can be worked on some. My 40VE I put a Wolff Spring in and even took a few coils off the spring and it was great. I used it that way for a couple years and then sold it to a guy that still has it and the spring still works fine. It's been five-six years now.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #23

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMan9194
The sdve model is new this year. It's supposedly a combo of the sigma and the sd. Taking their place. It's smiths model under the mp.
S&W Sigma, model SW(insert caliber here)VE. Pretty sure its the same gun being made since like 94.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Check the actual website. It specifies that both 9 and 40 of the model SD VE were released June 1st of 2012....

Old 11-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #25

While I can see no physical difference between them, I do see that there was an SWVE Sigma and now an SDVE. The SD version is considered slightly higher end, though how is beyond me. They both look entry level to me. I wouldn't waste my money on the SDVE and instead just get a nice used M&P. Now that's a gun.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 11-10-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What's the difference in an entry level handgun?

Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMan9194
What's the difference in an entry level handgun?
Fit and finish being of lesser quality and fewer features. Like the SWVE has standard dovetailed rear sights with front blade, while the SDVE has adjustable dovetailed rear sight with front blade. I'm sure there are a couple other differences I haven't noticed, but this illustrates the idea. I've read that the slide on the new SDVE has more detail and finer finish, but the degree of that is unnoticeable to my eye from pictures of side-by-side and who really cares about the finish? A DIY job can alter that with ease. Not sure if maybe the SD has manual safety or not, sure would be an improvement though!

Old 11-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #28

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

Fit and finish being of lesser quality and fewer features. Like the SWVE has standard dovetailed rear sights with front blade, while the SDVE has adjustable dovetailed rear sight with front blade. I'm sure there are a couple other differences I haven't noticed, but this illustrates the idea. I've read that the slide on the new SDVE has more detail and finer finish, but the degree of that is unnoticeable to my eye from pictures of side-by-side and who really cares about the finish? A DIY job can alter that with ease. Not sure if maybe the SD has manual safety or not, sure would be an improvement though!
The sdve is an entry pistol for beginners or people on a budget. It fits the bill perfect. No its not and m&p but its not supposed to be

Old 11-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige91603

The sdve is an entry pistol for beginners or people on a budget. It fits the bill perfect. No its not and m&p but its not supposed to be
Not saying it is. Just that there's much better out there for the money, such as a used M&P. I'd get a Bersa Thunder before I even thought once about the Sigma of any year. They may not call this SDVE a Sigma, but it is in every way. Also, I wont say I hate polymer framed guns, but I'll never recommend one over an aluminum, alloy or steel frame.

That said, the Sigma is an awesomely performing handgun and a good bang for the buck, no matter if there's better. Better is something evolving and there's no accounting for taste.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #30

I got my SD40VE yesterday and shot it for the first time today.

I really like this gun. I have small hands and this gun fits me perfect. Not too heavy, not to bulky, just right. Shoots great. A really nice gun.

Trigger pull is, in my opinion, just like my Dad's M&P 9mm. I mean, it looks, shoots, and feels just like the M&P 9mm, only a tad lighter.

Yeah, there are surely some differences between the SD and the M&P, but you'll never tell the difference when shooting them. But, your wallet will notice it right away.

I will definitely recommend this gun.