Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Info/ Opinions on SD40VE (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/info-opinions-sd40ve-75829/)

WeeMan9194 11-07-2012 08:10 AM

Info/ Opinions on SD40VE

Anybody have any good info or personal opinions on the SD40VE... Worth the money, decent gun, etc.

bige91603 11-07-2012 07:52 PM

I have the sd9ve which I carry everyday. It has been a great and reliable shooter, most ammo shows no differences. The stock trigger pull is great if you carry, I have the apex duty trigger spring kit which dropped the weight from 5.5lb to 3.5lb. For the price it is a great gun, the only con that I have with it is the guide rod and spring are lacking

BeyondTheBox 11-07-2012 10:48 PM

The S&W Sigmas are truly awesome poly guns. I shoot my bosses all the time when we go out. Great plinker, a bit oversized for concealed carry, although he does with it.

Malachi 11-08-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bige91603
only con that I have with it is the guide rod and spring are lacking

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the guide rod and spring?

I'm getting an SD40VE next week. My father has it now and really seems to like it.

Garadex 11-08-2012 05:34 AM

The guide rod is plastic (polymer). I had one break on me. It was a $5 fix so no bid deal but it was still irritating,

THEMENACE 11-08-2012 02:11 PM

I have had the sd40ve for a few weeks now. Put a few boxes through it, including some crappy reloads. Ate everything up. Very accurate. The sights suck and need to be replaced though, crappy painted polymer and the front always catches on the holster. Only bad thing I have to say about it though. Quality was much higher than I expected, although I could see where the guide rod could be an issue. I like mine a lot, and carry it.

THE MENACE

BeyondTheBox 11-09-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malachi

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the guide rod and spring?

I'm getting an SD40VE next week. My father has it now and really seems to like it.

Guide rod holds the recoil spring and attach to the tail of the barrel under the chamber and behind the feedramp, and are usually separate parts. Not all guns have guide rods, in my experience many if not all fixed barrel handguns don't use them. Also in my experience all floating barrel handguns do use them, caliber may play some role in this as well.

bigbomar4 11-09-2012 03:32 AM

I had a 40ve and it worked flawlessly till a buddy of mine shot some 9mm out of it. One new barrel later and it was back to working great. But it just did not fit my hand and I could not stand the 12 pound gritty trigger and crappy sights so I ended up selling it to the guy that almost blew it up.

WeeMan9194 11-09-2012 03:34 AM

I thought the trigger weight on the newer models was 8 lbs...?

BeyondTheBox 11-09-2012 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbomar4
I had a 40ve and it worked flawlessly till a buddy of mine shot some 9mm out of it.

Hahaha this is one of the few reasons I'll never do a 40s&w firearm. I could easily see it happening in a situation where a bunch of buddies get together to go shooting and there's a pile of guns to shoot.