Inertial Firingpin

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Inertial Firingpin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Default Inertial Firingpin

Is this something old? I'm use to these 1911 styled handguns utilizing a firingpin "block", but the new one I got uses this Inertial pin instead. They say it makes it safe to carry condition 2, hammer down, so it essentially serves same purpose... I guess.

Just curious what your thoughts may be on this and any insight. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2882 Times on 1664 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Who is "they"?
The inertia firing pin is one that is shorter than the channel and uses inertia to go pass the breechface to make contact with the primer of the loaded case when firing.

On the Condition 2. Unless it is recommended by the owner's manual, it is not a recommended carry. To get to condition 2, you have to pull the trigger to lower the hammer. A basic rule is keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. Trying to put a 1911 in condition 2 is just increasing your chances of a negligent discharge.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Who is "they"?
The inertia firing pin is one that is shorter than the channel and uses inertia to go pass the breechface to make contact with the primer of the loaded case when firing.

On the Condition 2. Unless it is recommended by the owner's manual, it is not a recommended carry. To get to condition 2, you have to pull the trigger to lower the hammer. A basic rule is keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. Trying to put a 1911 in condition 2 is just increasing your chances of a negligent discharge.
That's who they was, the manufacture, it's in the manual and I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I will only carry condition two, it's how I practice, that's why I look for guns with firingpin blocks typically.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Please give me a little more info.
I like to keep a copy of owner's manuals

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Please give me a little more info.
I like to keep a copy of owner's manuals
I always make sure I have a printed and digital pdf copy of every manual for every gun. I find it important and read through them all periodically to keep fresh on what the manufacturer suggests and recommends. The gun is a Beretta Jetfire 950BS, the book is for the all 950 models. I'll try and copy/paste the excerpt from it which talks about the Inertial firingpin system.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay, the "tip the barrel" to load does not require the trigger to be manipulated when in condition 2.
But with any inertia firing pin handgun, a drop of the handgun on the muzzle could fire the handgun without trigger being pulled.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Okay, the "tip the barrel" to load does not require the trigger to be manipulated when in condition 2.
But with any inertia firing pin handgun, a drop of the handgun on the muzzle could fire the handgun without trigger being pulled.
Why the muzzle more susceptible to it then hammer? Either way I'm not worried. Just like with people who carry dao with no manual safety I practice with what I carry & am careful and gun only comes out at night on bed.