Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Inertial Firingpin (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/inertial-firingpin-83530/)

BeyondTheBox 02-06-2013 03:06 AM

Inertial Firingpin
 
Is this something old? I'm use to these 1911 styled handguns utilizing a firingpin "block", but the new one I got uses this Inertial pin instead. They say it makes it safe to carry condition 2, hammer down, so it essentially serves same purpose... I guess.

Just curious what your thoughts may be on this and any insight. Thanks!

danf_fl 02-06-2013 08:27 AM

Who is "they"?
The inertia firing pin is one that is shorter than the channel and uses inertia to go pass the breechface to make contact with the primer of the loaded case when firing.

On the Condition 2. Unless it is recommended by the owner's manual, it is not a recommended carry. To get to condition 2, you have to pull the trigger to lower the hammer. A basic rule is keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. Trying to put a 1911 in condition 2 is just increasing your chances of a negligent discharge.

BeyondTheBox 02-06-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1126104)
Who is "they"?
The inertia firing pin is one that is shorter than the channel and uses inertia to go pass the breechface to make contact with the primer of the loaded case when firing.

On the Condition 2. Unless it is recommended by the owner's manual, it is not a recommended carry. To get to condition 2, you have to pull the trigger to lower the hammer. A basic rule is keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. Trying to put a 1911 in condition 2 is just increasing your chances of a negligent discharge.

That's who they was, the manufacture, it's in the manual and I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I will only carry condition two, it's how I practice, that's why I look for guns with firingpin blocks typically.

danf_fl 02-06-2013 05:37 PM

Please give me a little more info.
I like to keep a copy of owner's manuals

BeyondTheBox 02-06-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1126549)
Please give me a little more info.
I like to keep a copy of owner's manuals

I always make sure I have a printed and digital pdf copy of every manual for every gun. I find it important and read through them all periodically to keep fresh on what the manufacturer suggests and recommends. The gun is a Beretta Jetfire 950BS, the book is for the all 950 models. I'll try and copy/paste the excerpt from it which talks about the Inertial firingpin system.

danf_fl 02-06-2013 06:35 PM

Okay, the "tip the barrel" to load does not require the trigger to be manipulated when in condition 2.
But with any inertia firing pin handgun, a drop of the handgun on the muzzle could fire the handgun without trigger being pulled.

BeyondTheBox 02-06-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1126620)
Okay, the "tip the barrel" to load does not require the trigger to be manipulated when in condition 2.
But with any inertia firing pin handgun, a drop of the handgun on the muzzle could fire the handgun without trigger being pulled.

Why the muzzle more susceptible to it then hammer? Either way I'm not worried. Just like with people who carry dao with no manual safety I practice with what I carry & am careful and gun only comes out at night on bed.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:37 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.