Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Impractical (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/impractical-37644/)

NGIB 01-30-2011 05:40 PM

Impractical

If you have enough handguns to warrant using the word collection (say 5-6 or more), odds are you have one that really isn't that practical but you hang on to it anyway. For me, this pistol is my old blue Walther PPK. It's an older gun with the short grip (hence a PPK not a PPK/S), the finish is well worn, and it really doesn't serve a purpose better than other guns I own.

My Sig P238 is lighter and has a much better trigger, my SP101 carries a hell of a lot more punch, but the old Walther stays at home even though I trade guns frequently. Not sure why, maybe it's the cool factor, or maybe because it's an old design - just like me. What are some of your impractical keepers?

(Right now it's loaded with Cor-Bon, wearing the black plastics grips, and doing duty on my desk)

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j.../IMG_WPK-X.jpg

Davyboy 01-30-2011 05:49 PM

Dont know why but I have kept an old bolt action .22 shotty. Will probably never use it again. Bought it to shoot pidgeons in my daughter in door riding arena at the stables she keeps her horses at. In the end I bought a .22 co2 rifle with scope, laser and moderator.

sweeper22 01-30-2011 05:59 PM

My most impractical pistol is probably my Sig P226 chambered in 357sig. It's the caliber of course that makes it a little impractical. It doesn't get carried anywhere and sees pretty limited range time. And given the money I've got tied up in it, this is a pistol that would make sense to sell...but for whatever reason I'm not a motivated seller yet.

Maybe because it's such a good shooter. Or because it's the only pistol I've got with factory night sights. I haven't seen another quite like mine for some reason. It's not any kind of "dark" or "elite" model or anything, but it has a beavertail which seems to give it sort of a tacticool look.

For now it resides as the bedside gun with a Sig tac light/laser on the rail. Some day I'll probably move it and get out of the 357sig caliber. At that point the XDm45 moves to the nightstand...but it may be a while.

freefall 01-30-2011 05:59 PM

I have a S&W model 39, my cousin gave it to me for Christmas a couple years ago. Don't really have a use for it, full size 8 shot 9mm, but I like it, it's reliable and I don't suppose it would sell for much. Also have a NAA Guardian .380. My PF9 fills it's function, is lighter, more powerful and reliable. Still haven't parted with the NAA tho.

JonM 01-30-2011 06:05 PM

desert eagle 50AE with 44mag barrel conversion. the wife loves it but we've taken it out maybe twice in the last decade.

billdeserthills 01-30-2011 06:18 PM

I have an old Rossi 44 Sp I keep it cause I haven't sold off any guns ever. I'm sure I only bought it due to my getting delayed for 15 years, & out of frustration (private sale)

danf_fl 01-30-2011 11:13 PM

My Springfield 1903A3 rifle. S/N in the 80,000 area. Scared to shoot it (I would have to remove cosmoline).

So it sits in the rack taking up space.

User Name 01-31-2011 08:44 PM

Sundance 25 auto, piece of crap but im keeping it anyway.

Dillinger 01-31-2011 08:55 PM

I got an old P-38 that was "liberated" by my grandfather from some german officer during WWII.

Totally impractical today, the thing weighs as much as a boat anchor, but I love it and take it out about once a month to marvel at it's incredible craftsmanship ( for the period ).

I'll never part with that one. I probably won't part with most of the collection he left me just because of who it came from and how most of them were acquired.

JD

Davyboy 01-31-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 433830)
I got an old P-38 that was "liberated" by my grandfather from some german officer during WWII.

Totally impractical today, the thing weighs as much as a boat anchor, but I love it and take it out about once a month to marvel at it's incredible craftsmanship ( for the period ).

I'll never part with that one. I probably won't part with most of the collection he left me just because of who it came from and how most of them were acquired.

JD

Fired its follow up P1 a lot of years ago not the best but practical. A typical transition from craftsmanship to practicality.