im torn and need help! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

im torn and need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

scratch all the glock and xd talk, an look at almost an brand 1911 45.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #12

Liked 21 Times on 10 Posts

Glock gets my vote I love my G19, but you have to pick the gun that fits best for you.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my suggestion is to see which one fits your hand the best. because how it fits your hand will determine a lot of how well you are able to shoot accurately. i would also suggest the 9mm as it's the cheapest in centerfire pistol, and will allow you to practice more. i would also suggest starting with a pistol that fits your hand vs. compact or full size. how your hand fits and your grip have a lot of how well you can control recoil. fit is very important part and more important than size of the caliber. the Glock is a good pistol, and i have shot many in the past, but i have the SA XDm40 and like how it fits my hand better than the Glock. again the 9mm is much cheaper to shoot than the 40 by at least 25-40% cheaper in ammo cost. also the 40 is a little snappier than the 9mm and even the 45acp. the 40 you kind of grow to love! i know i did after 20 plus years of owning and shooting them.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #14

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
my suggestion is to see which one fits your hand the best. because how it fits your hand will determine a lot of how well you are able to shoot accurately. i would also suggest the 9mm as it's the cheapest in centerfire pistol, and will allow you to practice more. i would also suggest starting with a pistol that fits your hand vs. compact or full size. how your hand fits and your grip have a lot of how well you can control recoil. fit is very important part and more important than size of the caliber. the Glock is a good pistol, and i have shot many in the past, but i have the SA XDm40 and like how it fits my hand better than the Glock. again the 9mm is much cheaper to shoot than the 40 by at least 25-40% cheaper in ammo cost. also the 40 is a little snappier than the 9mm and even the 45acp. the 40 you kind of grow to love! i know i did after 20 plus years of owning and shooting them.
This ^.
Easiest to control: big gun with a small caliber; hardest to control, small gun with a large caliber. Somewhere between these extremes, keeping in mind your purpose, is your gun. If you can't put the bullet where you want it, it doesn't matter what the caliber it is. How did you do with the .22s?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #15

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit750
Absolutely, you can't beat a 1911. You can spend a little bit and get one that's fun to shoot, or spend a lot and get one you can depend on

Old 03-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #16

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit750 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies View Post
Absolutely, you can't beat a 1911. You can spend a little bit and get one that's fun to shoot, or spend a lot and get one you can depend on
Respectfully disagree with the above advice. A large caliber through the most complex platform is not a good first gun.

Nothing wrong with a Glock (ducks for cover) and Springers are a great choice as well. Both are high quality and very reliable. Since you can't test fire any, I'd try to get my hands on every single one I could to see what fits you best.

Nothing wrong with the 9mm either (ducks again for cover), it's cheap to shoot and lots of people use it for SD. As previously stated, the .40 may take a little getting used to.

Have you considered a revolver? If I had it to do over again, I'd pick a revolver to learn on. If you can get tight groups in DA, you're ahead of the learning curve when you do pick up a semi auto.

If you have your heart set on a semi, Glocks, Springers, Ruger and CZ all make quality firearms, the list goes on and on...

Old 03-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #17

Likes Given: 4

Previous posters are absolutely right. It's all about what feels best in your hand. I personally cannot stand the way a glock feels in anything over a 9mm. That being said I really love my g17 rtf2. Go to your local gun shop and pick up every gun you can before they kick you out and make sure you pull the trigger before you buy. Whichever feels the best is the one you will most likely shoot the best with.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #18

Liked 337 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Springfield's XDm is my polymer of choice. I like the feel and think the grip safety is a great no-brainer safety feature. I have nothing but positive experiences with Springfield's polymers. I guess I could point out that Glocks are a bit lighter if that's a concern. Also, I prefer 9mm and 45acp over 40sw.

But 40sw is fine, as is Glock. Any combination of Glock/XD/XDm and 9mm/40sw/45acp will perform like a champ in competent hands. The critical point is figuring out which model fits your hands best and which caliber addresses your needs. I would tend to point you toward a 9mm (especially if you're on a budget). You can graduate to a larger caliber after you've built some skills and experienced shooting enough to refine your thoughts on what you'd like.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1188 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Good post, I agree with most of the above. Definitely handle as many pistols as you can and don't settle for something you don't like. Try to find a way to fire the top contenders too, especially including 9mm vs. .40S&W. I love many different handguns including the 1911 but now carry a Glock 23 (same size as the G19 except in .40S&W).

If you like the Glock remember that there are more add-ons and upgrades for them than anything else except for the 1911. One interesting upgrade if you're torn on caliber: I have a Lone Wolf 40S&W to 9mm conversion barrel for my G23 so I can shoot both calibers with a 15 second barrel swap. The barrel also fits my G27 to convert it to 9mm (the barrel sticks out a little but works fine).
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #20

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies View Post
You're agree with something that the OP never even asked about- If he was concidering a 1911 i'm sure he wud have asked about one
Besides that "little or a lot stuff" is totally untrue, unfounded & well---BS
Again---XD over the Glock

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 03-23-2012 at 10:42 PM.