Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   im torn and need help! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/im-torn-need-help-60251/)

Gunz05G 03-14-2012 10:39 PM

im torn and need help!

so I'm buyin my first pistol on Tuesday and I'm having a hard time choosing the pistol. I've had my eye on glocks but idk if I should buy a G19 9mm gen 4 or G23 .40 gen 4. its my first pistol and I've never shot both, I don't have a shooting range anywhere close so I can try them out. if you think I should go with a 9mm, I'm also considering a springfield XDM 9mm compact. just saw them online and they seem wonderful. so please help..

Marlinman 03-14-2012 10:40 PM

Im a Dlock hater. Id say the SA would be a whole world better weapon

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

mountainman13 03-14-2012 10:45 PM

Are you brand new to shooting? The .40 is usually preferred but for some its a bit too much of a kick. That's usually just people who are not comfortable with a handgun though. Personally I love my m19 GLOCK 9mm. As far as the xd's are concerned I can't really give you input as they cannot be purchased in store in my state and I haven't found anyone that has one yet.

Gunz05G 03-14-2012 11:34 PM

yes I em new too shootin, I took a safety class on gun handling and all we got to shoot were little .22 walther pistols

Ledbetter84 03-14-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman
Im a Dlock hater. Id say the SA would be a whole world better weapon

I agree. I'm more if an XD guy. But whatever feels better in your hand wins is what I've always been told. As far as 9mm vs 40, I like 40.

mountainman13 03-14-2012 11:52 PM

You may want to go to your local gun range as try shooting a 9mm and a .40 if possible.

Marlinman 03-15-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
You may want to go to your local gun range as try shooting a 9mm and a .40 if possible.

Read his original post and you will see he doesnt have this option

mountainman13 03-15-2012 12:06 AM

Lol guess I'm doing too many things at once. I was the first to respond. Since trying one out is not an option I would recommend picking up a used 9mm and if you decide you want to go bigger you won't be out as much $

Bear304inc 03-15-2012 11:42 PM

9's are cheaper to buy,, and ammo is cheaper,, also less recoil than a 40. But there are a few variables to keep in mind.
What is it going to be its primary function? Range/fun? Self/home defense? How big are your hands/frame?
For fun you might go with the 9, ammo cheap so you can shoot a lot.
Self/ home defense I would go with the 40, double tap center mass most likely to stop threat better than 9.( although I'm sure 9's can get it done too )
Single stack magazines are slim inthe hand, double stacks are fatter so it may make a difference if you have small hands.
Either way, get one and practice, practice till you know that perticular weapon inside and out. ..have fun!!!

HOSSFLY 03-15-2012 11:44 PM

Ge a XD ;)