Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > I'm Thinking about...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 04:05 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default I'm Thinking about...

Selling my Beretta Cougar 8045 and buying a Colt Commander or similar Commander size 1911. I've been thinking about it and I prefer the slimmer profile and slightly longer barrel of a Commander. I don't lose capacity since the Cougar only holds 8 + 1 and I can get that in the Commander.

The only problem is that the Beretta wouldn't pay for the new pistol, so I'd have to put it on layaway.

The Cougar is a nice pistol. It's dependable and accurate and I just replaced the night sights as well. I hate the thought of taking a bath on it. I've got five mags and a new Don Hume Jit slide that would go with it too.

I figure even with all that stuff, I can only get maybe $450 or so out of it. I guess I could sell the mags and the holster on the Beretta Forum and pick up a bit extra there. But that still doesn't pay for a Commander.

Should I just keep it and try to love it, or should I get rid of it, bite the bullet and get the 1911?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Selling my Beretta Cougar 8045 and buying a Colt Commander or similar Commander size 1911. I've been thinking about it and I prefer the slimmer profile and slightly longer barrel of a Commander. I don't lose capacity since the Cougar only holds 8 + 1 and I can get that in the Commander.

The only problem is that the Beretta wouldn't pay for the new pistol, so I'd have to put it on layaway.

The Cougar is a nice pistol. It's dependable and accurate and I just replaced the night sights as well. I hate the thought of taking a bath on it. I've got five mags and a new Don Hume Jit slide that would go with it too.

I figure even with all that stuff, I can only get maybe $450 or so out of it. I guess I could sell the mags and the holster on the Beretta Forum and pick up a bit extra there. But that still doesn't pay for a Commander.

Should I just keep it and try to love it, or should I get rid of it, bite the bullet and get the 1911?
Here's an idea. Keep the Beretta and put the Commander on layaway anyway. Sell something else. The lady have any diamond rings?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:31 AM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:

Pussy just do it! NIKIE

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-10-2009, 04:35 AM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Punt the Italian **** gun to the street!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-10-2009, 04:39 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Geez. You guys are brutal.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you don't like the Baretta then sell it. If you do like it then keep it, Either way get the 1911. Put it on layaway if you have to.

I have done stuff like that before and was more satisfied afterwards......but several times I got rid of something that I regreted so it all boils down to whether or not you really like the Baretta.

This is just my opinion.

"magbum"

Old 08-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Geez. You guys are brutal.
Keep the damn Cougar. Move it down your SHTF list of defenders and get the 1911. Just because you get one does not mean you need to get rid of one. You do make the calls, don't you?

I've got one better. Give me the Beretta for my new venture. I have a kennel for firearms. While in my kennel they are showed much love and attention. They are safe and get exercised and cleaned daily. Just drop off your beloved firearm with enough food to keep them fed for the duration of your absence. I take care of the care personally and guarantee a safe and happy environment for all. I don't play favorites with those in my care. Weekly and monthly rates available.

skullcrusher has copywrited this post.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Saw a new colt commander stainless here for $800, looks very nice!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Handguns are merely tools. If you want a Commander, sell the Cougar if needs be. Some folks never let go of a gun, me on the other hand change them quite often. If I really miss something, I'll just get another one...

Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If you really wanted that Commander... you'd find a way to get it.