Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   im probably gonna get flamed for this but here goes... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/im-probably-gonna-get-flamed-but-here-goes-54765/)

marlin-owner 01-04-2012 04:43 PM

im probably gonna get flamed for this but here goes...

i traded my .22 for a 9mm bryco jenning 9mm. before i did it i looked it up and saw all the poor reviews. i took it out to the range yesterday and to my suprise it did not explode. it fired every time i pulled the trigger. and was pretty acurate as well. the only issue i had was the rear end of the firing pin was poking out of the back to much, to let you know its live. so i took a pair of needle nose and snipped it at the base. broke out a grinder and grinded the nub left to flat. that just leaves the guide rod and the firing pin on the front side, anyways i adjusted to clip by pinching the top of the clip a tiny but closer so it can feed easier. all in all it seems worth my .22 i traded for it. any opinions? i would prefer people who have either owned or fired it to respond. thanks! :)

Zodiac131911 01-04-2012 04:56 PM

I watched a .380 explode in my brothers face. Just be careful the slide hung up a little and exposed the case and it still fired letting the case explode on him.

danf_fl 01-04-2012 05:39 PM

No flame if the trade resulted in you getting a better handgun.

(You really had such a cheap .22?)

vincent 01-04-2012 05:44 PM

As long as you're happy with it then that's all that really matters, right?

trip286 01-04-2012 06:07 PM

Recommendation. Instead of snipping any parts in the future, if you must do home modifications for whatever purposes, desire, aesthetics, functionality, ergonomics, invest in a good dual grit whet stone and slowly hone down small parts by hand.

I don't know if its been proven, but I feel like snipping can put undue areas on a given part and make the metal brittle and weak, possibly also causing small minute cracks leading to the same.

Its my preference and my opinion.

And yeah, if it works for you and your happy, roll with it.

Sonic82 01-04-2012 06:36 PM

They've got a good deal on one, $30 Gunsamerica...$10 shipping though...maybe it's not such a good deal.

jamesb 01-04-2012 06:52 PM

What .22 did you trade for it? I'm hoping it wasn't something you could have got a couple hundred dollers for.

EDIT: This deal:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/995909300/Guns/Pistols/Jennings-Pistols/Bryco_Jennings_9mm.htm

orangello 01-04-2012 07:45 PM

I knew a kid who was very happy with his 9mm bryco. I am not sure i ever actually saw him fire it, though. If you like it, then enjoy it; if it embarasses you, stand by somebody with a hipoint. :D

Seriously, if you decide to get something "better" or more generally accepted as "reliable", you could probably pick up a Ruger P95 for under $300, barely used. That is a solid, reliable handgun for a low price (not the prettiest piece though, IMO).

Sonic82 01-04-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 667419)
you could probably pick up a Ruger P95 for under $300, barely used. That is a solid, reliable handgun for a low price (not the prettiest piece though, IMO).

I never understood why people think the P95 isn't a nice looking piece, I think they look great.

And frankly, I wouldn't shoot a 9mm Bryco. Some things you shouldn't go cheap on, firearms are one of them. Firearms can be dangerous if not properly constructed. Do you think SIG, Glock and S&W would put as much time and effort in R & D if you could just bang them out and sell them for less than $200? A 9mm can cause you alot of injury.... and by the way, you hold handguns 2 feet from your face....just sayin'.

Chainfire 01-04-2012 10:45 PM

I would fear a well trained and practiced shooter with a high-point, much more than an occasional shooter with a Kimber.