Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > im new to the gun world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by historydoc
For your needs I'd look into an all steel service pistol in 9mm or the like. Handle a browning hi power, cz 75b, or beretta 92 if you can. You can shoot those all day. Lots of great 9s out there. In polymer I like the fnp9 or if you are on a tight budget the ruger p95. Comfort is the key. If you like the way glocks feel, get a glock. The cz 75 is my favorite range gun though.
Thank you I'll look into the different options. I'm real open minded

Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Roque
You can't go wrong with a glock or XD. Any and all of them are great for home defense. As for caliber, I would definitely go for a 9mm. There fun to shoot and affordable to take to the range and bust a few boxes. Im glock biased tho so automatically I think "g19" or "g17" but personally one of the fun parts of buying a gun is the research. Hope this helped man

Good luck!
Definitely helped thank you.. I was thinking about going with a 45 for the stopping power but I also have to take in consideration im going to be going to the range a lot and 9mm won't hurt my pockets as much as a 45 would

Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158
Thats a big one. I have a 357 mag. I love it, its not huge but big enuff to slap the taste outa someones mouth if I need to and I can shoot 38 special or 357's.

If ya live in michigan you can come shoot mine. I love a good excuse to go though a box of amo.
Next time I go to the range I'll try some revolvers out. I hear you can never go wrong with them. Thank you for the advise

Old 02-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Does your range rent guns? If you can, shoot them side by side. I believe Gen 4 Glocks and XDm's are within a few bucks of each other if your comparing similar models and there both excellent guns with good reputations so it comes down to which one YOU shoot the best.

Good Luck

Tack
I agree,
You should try shooting them before buying one. What works for one person doesn't sometimes work for another.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #25

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

You should read the "glock is prince" thread thats goin. It might change your mind on them.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #26
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2009 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0L0slick View Post
i dont know very much about weapons. ive been to the local range a couple times and just enjoy shooting. im looking to purchase a hand gun now and im considering buying a glock or a springfield xd. i want to purchase the weapon for self protection and shooting at the range. so taking that into consideration, can anyone give me any suggestions on the best springfield xd, or glock models. thank you
You have touched upon one of the hottest rivalries in the handgun world: Glock vs. Springfield... Springfield vs. Glock.

They are both well made guns. Really it comes down to what feels good to you. Most of purchasing a handgun is how it feels to you, how comfortable you are shooting it.

It's nearly impossible to say that one is better than the other. It's equivalent to asking which is better? Ford or Chevy? It's all about personal preference. Anyone who tells you otherwise is being a fanboy.

To me, Springfield fits my hand like a glove and Glocks feel like wrapping my hands around a brick.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Next time I go to the range I'll try some revolvers out. I hear you can never go wrong with them. Thank you for the advise
Lots of people think the best way to start shooting is with Ruger Single Six, and there is a lot of logic to that. It is cheap to shoot, fun, safe, and you will keep it forever. I think eventually everybody gets one or two of them. I carry one with me when I'm out in the hills. You can shoot snake shot, 22 LR hollow points, 22 magnums. Great gun to start out with and you will never outgrow it, no matter how long you shoot or what you get into later.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
i dont know very much about weapons. ive been to the local range a couple times and just enjoy shooting. im looking to purchase a hand gun now and im considering buying a glock or a springfield xd. i want to purchase the weapon for self protection and shooting at the range. so taking that into consideration, can anyone give me any suggestions on the best springfield xd, or glock models. thank you
I would try as many firearms as you can. Purchasing a firearm is a very personal thing and what is good for one guy is not to good for another. Go to the gun shop and have the salesman let you try all of the ones you think you may like. Purchase the one which is the most comfortable for you to shoot. You will have a better time at the range and yo will go more often. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead315
I would try as many firearms as you can. Purchasing a firearm is a very personal thing and what is good for one guy is not to good for another. Go to the gun shop and have the salesman let you try all of the ones you think you may like. Purchase the one which is the most comfortable for you to shoot. You will have a better time at the range and yo will go more often. Good luck!
Great advice! I agree on trying out as many guns as you can. Glocks and xds are excellent choices. There are also many other great choices as well. On my first purchase, I went to the shop looking to buy a glock and had done all my homework on the glock. I left with a s&w m&p 9mm! Lol.. It absolutely felt better in my hand and to me seemed a lot smoother. I then went back later to buy my glock. If you only plan on owning one firearm for a while you may want to consider everything you plan on using it for. If ccw is an option, you may want to go with a compact frame. If not, I'd go with a full size frame. Best of luck with your choice and welcome to the word of firearms! Be safe, read lots of forums watch lots of YouTube vids and have fun!