Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > im new to the gun world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
Welcome to the gun world! Glock would be an excellent choice. I'd recommend a G17 in 9mm. Perfect for the range and perfect for self defense. Be a good first handgun for you for sure. Reliable, accurate and high capacity mags! Gen 3's $500 and Gen 4's $550. One of the most simplistic and safest handgun. Anything you wanna know about Glock?
so would you say that glocks are as good as everyone says they are. because ive heard more good than bad but i still want to take as many opinions as i can.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKS View Post
I'm biased because I own several.......buy a Glock 19. They are small enough to carry concealed fairly easily, and they go "bang" EVERY time I squeeze the trigger.
would you say glocks are more relaible than xd's? also one thing i forgot to mention at the begining, im not really trying to spend a whole lot of money.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0L0slick

would you say glocks are more relaible than xd's? also one thing i forgot to mention at the begining, im not really trying to spend a whole lot of money.
I don't think one is more reliable than the other...I've never had problems with either. Its just a matter of personal preference.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #14

I have a XD subcompact in 9mm and I love it. Very fun to shoot, 9mm ammo is affordable so I shoot more often, and with good hollow point ammo it makes a sufficient self defense weapon. I also have a Taurus 605 .357 magnum revolver that is my primary carry weapon. .357's are nice because you can shoot .38 special (not as expensive) with them as well as .357mag.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #15

Liked 4573 Times on 2212 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

Does your range rent guns? If you can, shoot them side by side. I believe Gen 4 Glocks and XDm's are within a few bucks of each other if your comparing similar models and there both excellent guns with good reputations so it comes down to which one YOU shoot the best.

Good Luck

Tack

Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #16

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Thats a big one. I have a 357 mag. I love it, its not huge but big enuff to slap the taste outa someones mouth if I need to and I can shoot 38 special or 357's.

If ya live in michigan you can come shoot mine. I love a good excuse to go though a box of amo.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IMO, you should go to a good range and rent both guns and try them out. Try 45 ACP and 9mm and see what you like.

Also, consider a revolver for your first instead of a pistol. Revolvers are simple, easy to understand, and don't go bang easily without you deliberately pulling the trigger.

And, before doing anything, take a Hunters Safety or Firearms Safety class.

And last, welcome to the sport.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For your needs I'd look into an all steel service pistol in 9mm or the like. Handle a browning hi power, cz 75b, or beretta 92 if you can. You can shoot those all day. Lots of great 9s out there. In polymer I like the fnp9 or if you are on a tight budget the ruger p95. Comfort is the key. If you like the way glocks feel, get a glock. The cz 75 is my favorite range gun though.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 204 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I own glock 19 & 26. They r both 9mm. Sizes are good for ccw. 9mm are easily found everywhere and cheaper than 0.40, .45 and etc. So u dont have to break the banks each time u visit range for practises. Glocks are simple, reliable, nice design and well known. Imo, go with glock.

Most importantly, ask yourself how much you will be spending in short/long term, which model u like, which one feels right when u are holding it. Follow your heart!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #20

You can't go wrong with a glock or XD. Any and all of them are great for home defense. As for caliber, I would definitely go for a 9mm. There fun to shoot and affordable to take to the range and bust a few boxes. Im glock biased tho so automatically I think "g19" or "g17" but personally one of the fun parts of buying a gun is the research. Hope this helped man

Good luck!