im new to the gun world
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > im new to the gun world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default im new to the gun world

i dont know very much about weapons. ive been to the local range a couple times and just enjoy shooting. im looking to purchase a hand gun now and im considering buying a glock or a springfield xd. i want to purchase the weapon for self protection and shooting at the range. so taking that into consideration, can anyone give me any suggestions on the best springfield xd, or glock models. thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm biased because I own several.......buy a Glock 19. They are small enough to carry concealed fairly easily, and they go "bang" EVERY time I squeeze the trigger.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Welcome to the gun world! Glock would be an excellent choice. I'd recommend a G17 in 9mm. Perfect for the range and perfect for self defense. Be a good first handgun for you for sure. Reliable, accurate and high capacity mags! Gen 3's $500 and Gen 4's $550. One of the most simplistic and safest handgun. Anything you wanna know about Glock?

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #4

would you say glocks are more relaible than xd's? also one thing i forgot to mention at the begining, im not really trying to spend a whole lot of money.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #5

so would you say that glocks are as good as everyone says they are. because ive heard more good than bad but i still want to take as many opinions as i can.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #6

I would suggest a glock in the .40 cal (10mm) category. It has good power and good accuracy. The middle ground between 9 mm and .45 cal. If you're lookn for a conceal and carry weapon, try a subcompact. Recoil is hell though on such a small pistol

Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2804 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0L0slick View Post
would you say glocks are more relaible than xd's? also one thing i forgot to mention at the begining, im not really trying to spend a whole lot of money.
Reliability depends on how the firearm is used or abused. Either suggested firearms have a good reputation for reliability.

What works for you is the best. Check out what feels comfortable in your hand.

The problem I have with Glocks is that my trigger finger drags on the trigger guard. I have to mod the Glock if I plan to keep it. No such problem with the XDm.

You may not have the problem. The Glock may work for you.

In other words, it is now your decision.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKS
I'm biased because I own several.......buy a Glock 19. They are small enough to carry concealed fairly easily, and they go "bang" EVERY time I squeeze the trigger.
This ^^^

I own 2 xds, an xdm and a couple Glocks...I prefer the Glocks, but that's my opinion.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Have you tried a revolver? I think there fun. They dont have as many parts to worry about too.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
Have you tried a revolver? I think there fun. They dont have as many parts to worry about too.
the only one ive shot was a 44 revolver... i loved it. but other than that i dont really have expierience with a revolver