Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   im new to the gun world (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/im-new-gun-world-56724/)

y0L0slick 01-31-2012 09:29 PM

im new to the gun world

i dont know very much about weapons. ive been to the local range a couple times and just enjoy shooting. im looking to purchase a hand gun now and im considering buying a glock or a springfield xd. i want to purchase the weapon for self protection and shooting at the range. so taking that into consideration, can anyone give me any suggestions on the best springfield xd, or glock models. thank you

TimKS 01-31-2012 09:40 PM

I'm biased because I own several.......buy a Glock 19. They are small enough to carry concealed fairly easily, and they go "bang" EVERY time I squeeze the trigger. ;)

g17frantz 01-31-2012 09:41 PM

Welcome to the gun world! Glock would be an excellent choice. I'd recommend a G17 in 9mm. Perfect for the range and perfect for self defense. Be a good first handgun for you for sure. Reliable, accurate and high capacity mags! Gen 3's $500 and Gen 4's $550. One of the most simplistic and safest handgun. Anything you wanna know about Glock?

y0L0slick 01-31-2012 09:48 PM

would you say glocks are more relaible than xd's? also one thing i forgot to mention at the begining, im not really trying to spend a whole lot of money.

y0L0slick 01-31-2012 09:51 PM

so would you say that glocks are as good as everyone says they are. because ive heard more good than bad but i still want to take as many opinions as i can.

Puma 01-31-2012 09:55 PM

I would suggest a glock in the .40 cal (10mm) category. It has good power and good accuracy. The middle ground between 9 mm and .45 cal. If you're lookn for a conceal and carry weapon, try a subcompact. Recoil is hell though on such a small pistol;)

danf_fl 01-31-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y0L0slick (Post 695380)
would you say glocks are more relaible than xd's? also one thing i forgot to mention at the begining, im not really trying to spend a whole lot of money.

Reliability depends on how the firearm is used or abused. Either suggested firearms have a good reputation for reliability.

What works for you is the best. Check out what feels comfortable in your hand.

The problem I have with Glocks is that my trigger finger drags on the trigger guard. I have to mod the Glock if I plan to keep it. No such problem with the XDm.

You may not have the problem. The Glock may work for you.

In other words, it is now your decision.

USMC-03 01-31-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimKS
I'm biased because I own several.......buy a Glock 19. They are small enough to carry concealed fairly easily, and they go "bang" EVERY time I squeeze the trigger. ;)

This ^^^

I own 2 xds, an xdm and a couple Glocks...I prefer the Glocks, but that's my opinion.

Josh1158 01-31-2012 10:07 PM

Have you tried a revolver? I think there fun. They dont have as many parts to worry about too.

y0L0slick 01-31-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh1158 (Post 695401)
Have you tried a revolver? I think there fun. They dont have as many parts to worry about too.

the only one ive shot was a 44 revolver... i loved it. but other than that i dont really have expierience with a revolver