I'm Looking for a Compact 9mm, suggestions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > I'm Looking for a Compact 9mm, suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I'm Looking for a Compact 9mm, suggestions?

Hi all, I'm looking for the above as a carry weapon. So far I've looked at the Ruger SR9c & LC9.

Anyone have some experience with either of the above? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would recommend a Springer XDm-9 Compact, but I'm biased

To date I have fired 573 rounds over 100 of which are Fiocchi Extrema 124 grain JHP with the Hornady XTP rounds and it hasn't had a burp yet. It seems to be most accurate with a 124 grain load. Here is a 14 round group (13+1) with the Fiocchi SD load at 14 yards fired in 3 round bursts:

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 04-23-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Are you after a pocket carry gun or a holster carry gun? That will make a big difference in the recommendations. For holster carry (IWB) I like my M&P40c, which is the exact same size as the M&P9c. I looked at the XD subcompact, the Glock 27, and the Kahr MK40. The M&P fit me the best. For pocket carry, the Kel Tec PF9 compares very favorably to the LC9, for over $100 less.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Are you after a pocket carry gun or a holster carry gun? That will make a big difference in the recommendations. For holster carry (IWB) I like my M&P40c, which is the exact same size as the M&P9c. I looked at the XD subcompact, the Glock 27, and the Kahr MK40. The M&P fit me the best. For pocket carry, the Kel Tec PF9 compares very favorably to the LC9, for over $100 less.
I'm leaning towards a holster. My plan is to carry in the waistline of my back on a belt.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I really like the SR9c. Ilike the overall feel and nice trigger. Also have PPS9 which is about the same size as the ruger(little slimmer in the grip) but has less capacity and expensive mags. It is a very accurate gun though. If I would have had the SR9c before the PPS I would have never bought the PPS though.

XD and XDm's in compacts are wider than the ruger but they are also quality guns yet a bit higher priced. For $400 you can not go wrong with the Ruger it is a fine pistol.

Sorry but I do not care for the Kel Tec brand so no further on that.

Last edited by mkett39; 04-23-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmgun View Post
I'm leaning towards a holster. My plan is to carry in the waistline of my back on a belt.
Then I would look at larger than pocket sized guns. Leave the LC9 and PF9 for pocket carry. The SR9c is probably the gun you want, but look at as many others as you can just to be sure.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:54 AM   #7

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Take at look at the Kahr PM9 or the new CW9. The pm9 carries extremely well on a belt and usually very well in most pockets. I love my PM 9 along with the P380 exclusively for pockets.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 04-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #8

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmgun View Post
Hi all, I'm looking for the above as a carry weapon. So far I've looked at the Ruger SR9c & LC9.

Anyone have some experience with either of the above? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Take a nice long hard look at the Walther PPS. One of the most accurate compact pistols I've ever owned. Has swiftly become my everyday carry gun for summer. Carries great in your pocket or holster. Also make sure you check out the Kahr line. Plenty of great guns there. My wife loves the P9 and my daughter the K9. I borrow either one of them on occassion.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #9

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

My mistake above - it is the new Kahr CM9 which seems to be getting some nice reviews.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 04-24-2011, 04:09 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

One I would suggest is the S&W M&P, I've owned four M&P's three of those are now legally owned by family members (son, daughter and daughter in law) who guilted me into giving them this fine pistol in place of the CC they had. Best advice for this pistol is don't let your family members shoot it otherwise you will just have to buy another. Go to a range that rents and shoot as many options as you can and find the one that fits your hand well and gets you on target for the second shot, might not need a second shot but better to be there than not.

s-w-m-p-9mm-c.jpg  

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 04-24-2011 at 04:14 AM.