I'm Looking for a .22lr and a 9mm Handgun That Are the Same Size
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > I'm Looking for a .22lr and a 9mm Handgun That Are the Same Size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I'm Looking for a .22lr and a 9mm Handgun That Are the Same Size

I'm wanting a .22lr handgun to plink with, and a 9mm for a more realistic nightstand gun. I plan to shoot both at the range, but shoot a hell of a lot more out of the .22lr for cost reasons. I've only shot a handgun a couple of times before, but I've got a Mossburg 500 12 gauge shotgun for deer hunting and a Marlin 795 .22lr for squirrel and I'm fairly accurate with either one.

I plan to take a beginner handgun course at the local shooting range, and then shoot once a week or so at the range. I'd like for the .22lr to have the same "feel" as the 9mm so that it's not much to transition between the two guns.

I asked this on another forum, and someone recommended the M&P 22 and 9mm guns, which have the same weight and size. They both look like great handguns, but I've also been trying to see if there are any other recommendations.

As of now, I plan to shoot the M&P 22 and 9mm and see if I like them.. but I've still got some time to wait for my tax return to come in, so I'd like to spend that time researching my options. Does anyone else have another recommendation that would meet my criteria, or any opinions on the M&P guns?

Last edited by dlister70; 01-26-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #2

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 731

I was going to suggest the M&P line, until I saw you already knew about it. Also check Glock, I think they do the same thing. How about a conversion kit? You buy the 9mm pistol, and from the same manufacturer, another slide & mag, in 22. SIG, and Beretta does this, I know. I bet some other companies do, too.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #3

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

The Ruger SR22 and the M&P shields are the same size but I wouldn't call the shield a nightstand gun.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #4

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1420

I went through this whole thing a few years ago. I ended up with a Glock 19 and a Ruger 22/45.

I think your best bet is an M&P pair. While not exactly the same, they're closer to each other than anything else. Besides, most of the other 22lr semis seem to be picky on ammo. My 22/45 isn't picky and shoots everything, but it also isn't very much like my Glock either.

Your other choice is a 22lr conversion kit, but they're almost as expensive as a whole new gun, and also seem picky about ammo.

I'd also go for the 40 caliber and get a 9mm conversion kit for it, either now or later, to have flexibility of ammo. You can't go the other way.

You should know that 9mm reloads & remanufactured are going for what new ammo used to cost me before the shortage began, and you have to get up early in the morning to even have a chance of scoring a few boxes of 22lr.

You should also know that beyond basics, the 22lr will not provide you with much ability to put shots where you want them with the 9mm. You need to shoot the 9mm, to get good with the 9mm. I'm not saying the 22lr isn't fun, or cheaper, just that even if they feel the same when you hold them, they won't feel the same when you pull the trigger, and beyond the basics of sight picture (easy), trigger control (difficult) may be the single most important thing to placing your shot where you want it.

Last edited by Vincine; 02-11-2014 at 04:43 AM.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Your other choice is a 22lr conversion kit, but they're almost as expensive as a whole new gun, and also seem picky about ammo.

I'd also go for the 40 caliber and get a 9mm conversion kit for it, either now or later, to have flexibility of ammo. You can't go the other way.

I'm not saying the 22lr isn't fun, or cheaper, just that even if they feel the same when you hold them, they won't feel the same when you pull the trigger, and beyond the basics of sight picture (easy) trigger control (difficult) may be the single most important thing to placing your shot where you want it.
I'd like to stay away from conversion kits since I could just put a little more money towards it and get a whole other gun.

You make a great point about the trigger. I (perhaps naively) thought that the trigger pull difference would be negligible between the two. From what I've read, the .22 has a 3.9lb pull while the 9mm has a 4.2lb pull. I didn't think I would notice much of a difference, but then, I've not fired them yet either. I had also read that a lot of people go with an Apex kit to replace the stock trigger, so if I do that, I would likely have to replace the trigger on both.

I'm mostly just buying the handguns to have fun at the range. I've been going back and forth between wanting a .22 for fun or a 9mm for versatility (IL did finally go conceal carry, and while that isn't my current goal, it'd be nice to have the flexibility if my goals change). I plan to blow a portion of my tax return on something fun, so if I want to buy them both, now is the time. Or I could just buy one and have extra to spend on ammo.

As far as finding ammo, it's certainly been tight around here, but I've got five places to buy ammo within 2 miles of my house. I ask what's in stock often and have found 9mm and .22lr from time to time at one place or another. As long as I don't develop a 500 round per visit habit, I think I'll be able to get by.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #6

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1420

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlister70 View Post
. . . . From what I've read, the .22 has a 3.9lb pull while the 9mm has a 4.2lb pull. . . .
If that's true, you're right. You'd get some trigger control practice for the 9mm with the 22lr. Wish they were available when I bought mine. That said, getting follow up shots on target would still be a world of difference, but that would be true of any pair of 22lr/9mm pistols.

The biggest improvement I've had with trigger control on my 9mm, was DRY firing it, and NOT shooting the 22lr.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5986 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Best conversion that works is the sig p226 or sig p220 they have conversions for 22lr everything the same cept caliber and it actually works damn well.

Other than that there isn't much that works other than the bersa thunder 380/22

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

sparky80 Likes This 
Old 01-26-2014, 11:37 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Here's another vote for the M&P pair.

I've never shot their .22 LR version, but we own an M&P9 as well as a 9c. They're excellent guns and very ergonomic.

If you think your goal later on might be concealed carry, I would recommend the 9c instead of the full size. Normal magazines are 12 rounds but you can use the full sized magazines as well, for because purposes (or in the range).

Because of the slightly less weight, you might perceive a bit more recoil with the 9c than the full size. But that is easily overcome with practice and proper technique, so don't let that deter you.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Firearms Talk mobile app

Always have clean socks.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Also, remember that (last I Checked) the M&P 9 and 9c cancome with a thumb safety or not (you're choice). Same with a magazine disconnect safety.

The .22 version (again, last time I checked) always has a thumb safety. I'm not sure about the magazine disconnect, but I believe it does.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Firearms Talk mobile app

Always have clean socks.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #10

Liked 114 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 143

I had the Ciener kit for my 1911 and like others here I would pass on them. Also would not be too concerned with trying to make the two pistols alike. Because of the difference in recoil and the design changes it makes necessary in the pistol it just isn't that close. I now have the GSG/Sig 1911-22 and a Ruger 22/45. After some mods to the Sig both shoot bulk ammo but the Ruger is more accurate. There are sure to be a bunch of other good .22s but I would read a lot about the 'Tactical" ones there are many posts stating the zinc parts break.

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

danf_fl Likes This