If a Hi-Point was my only choice????? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > If a Hi-Point was my only choice?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Personally I think the Hi-Point system is dangerous and unneeded. I have yet to hear any cases of the round getting set off when being ejected. I will admit that I am a little picky about firearms. Heck, my RIA had a crack in the frame, and it's now gone. The Glock 21 I got to serve in the RIA's place got a crack on the feed ramp right below the barrel, so I got rid of that pistol. Because of that, I will never buy or even hold an RIA or a Glock ever again. That's just me so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

If that one design flaw with the firing pin would be fixed, I would by a Hi-Point again, and I would be happy about it.

That's the only serious issue I have with those pistols. The magazines are cheap, and could be reworked a little, but that's small in comparison.

Bottom line is you can't expect too much from a locally made 150 dollar (average price) pistol.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:17 AM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Personally I think the Hi-Point system is dangerous and unneeded. I have yet to hear any cases of the round getting set off when being ejected. I will admit that I am a little picky about firearms. Heck, my RIA had a crack in the frame, and it's now gone. The Glock 21 I got to serve in the RIA's place got a crack on the feed ramp right below the barrel, so I got rid of that pistol. Because of that, I will never buy or even hold an RIA or a Glock ever again. That's just me so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

If that one design flaw with the firing pin would be fixed, I would by a Hi-Point again, and I would be happy about it.

That's the only serious issue I have with those pistols. The magazines are cheap, and could be reworked a little, but that's small in comparison.

Accuracy is in the hand of the shooter. The larger caliber pistols are more accurate, and adjustable sights.

Bottom line is you can't expect too much from a locally made 150 dollar (average price) pistol.
Very 1st time I heard anything about that, maybe on the older models.

Hi-Point=an affordable gun that is very reliable (esp the last few years). Some guys hate the fact that they saved and saved for a $1500.00 1911 for their plinker.

The .45 and the .40 got good reviews in a test by a well known gun rag. Not a carry gun, but an every day shooter. Stay away from the steel cased ammo...brass is best for the monster.

The carbines are great as well, but they have a heavy trigger and no adjustment. Not a big deal once you start firing.

BTW, Made in USA (Ohio) and carry a lifetime no questions asked guarantee. Excellent rated customer service and from what I hear, you speak to an American if you call. Go Figure!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 02-27-2009 at 02:19 AM.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:04 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

It's not just on the older models. All Hi-Points are designed to have the firing pin act as the extractor during the cycling operation.

I will say that I'd rather have a Hi-Point then something like a Cobra, or Davis, or any of the "ring of fire" pistols out there.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:56 AM   #14

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I've got one of those .40 cal. Hi-points and it is a good shooter, I even carried it while I saved up for my 1911. I've never had any trouble out of mine.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would NEVER own 1 personally. They are made very heavy because they are blow-back operated instead of being recoil operated as they should be considering the pressures the 9mm/.40S&W/.45acp generate. I've had a bunch of them brought to me for various problems and as a result don't think much of them.

The thing is, if you rely on something cheap to protect your, & loved 1s lives, and it malfunctions at that crucial time, it's too late to upgrade! My recommendation is to save and get EXACTLY what you need in an quality firearm that you CAN depend on 110% of the time. Even if you DO upgrade later, you'll still be stuck with an inferior weapon in the meanwhile and then have a gun that has VERY little resale value. YES I DO feel qualified to say they're inferior due to the number of Hi-Points I've have been brought to me for problems-some not fixable without MAJOR overhaul.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #16

It's not a small gun but one that is inexpensive and reliable.
I like mine and have no complaints. It fires every time I pull the trigger and hits what I'm shooting at. For 100+ what more can you ask.
Try
Hipoint Firearms Forums - Index
for real owners opinions.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I would NEVER own 1 personally. They are made very heavy because they are blow-back operated instead of being recoil operated as they should be considering the pressures the 9mm/.40S&W/.45acp generate. I've had a bunch of them brought to me for various problems and as a result don't think much of them.

The thing is, if you rely on something cheap to protect your, & loved 1s lives, and it malfunctions at that crucial time, it's too late to upgrade! My recommendation is to save and get EXACTLY what you need in an quality firearm that you CAN depend on 110% of the time. Even if you DO upgrade later, you'll still be stuck with an inferior weapon in the meanwhile and then have a gun that has VERY little resale value. YES I DO feel qualified to say they're inferior due to the number of Hi-Points I've have been brought to me for problems-some not fixable without MAJOR overhaul.
I cant believe someone would not send it back to the factory for warranty repair. Did they not know it has a life time warranty?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #18

Default Why would you pay for a gunsmith to fix a high point?

Not only does it have a lifetime warranty for ANY owner but the repair is free.
All you have to do is pay for getting it to high point.
I also understand they sometimes send back a free mag for your trouble and expense.

For "problems-some not fixable without MAJOR overhaul" they have been known to replace the gun.

No offense to hard working gunsmiths.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #19

i shot a 3month old hi point yesterday that belongs to a friend of mine. it jammed atleast twice with each mag. i wouldnt suggest buying one of these.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:38 AM   #20

Likes Given: 1

i have a c9 high point and about 800 rounds of ammo.. for about .20 cents each,,, it has never jambed or ftf... and it just as accurate as any other gun at 20 feet,,,, guaranteed... well worth the money if u need personal protection... u can buy a kimber for 900.00 dollars, but if your not a professional , what difference does it make,,, you may have to polish the feed ramp on the c9 or make some other minor adjustments but kimber wants u to shoot 500 rounds before its broke in????? not practical in my book,,, c9 shot great out of the box... maybe won't last 30,000 rounds,,, i don't care,, it will still stop the ahole