If a Hi-Point was my only choice?????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > If a Hi-Point was my only choice?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default If a Hi-Point was my only choice?????

Hey I am looking at picking up somthing small and cheap, but I hear alot of mixed things about the Hi-Points. Can someone who owns one please give me the dirty on them. Should I get one or not?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Small they are not,cheap they are.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinginn View Post
Small they are not,cheap they are.

Can't agree more, the 9mm is easily the size of my .45 (exageration), but the damn thing is huge. On the other hand, the Walther P22 is small and Cheap!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

When compared to other sidearms of comparable price, the Hi-Point is a decent deal.

I do not like the fact that the firing pin acts as an extractor and will put a small dent on the primer when ejecting a live round if you need to clear the weapon.

Otherwise, the Hi-Points are decent shooters. I would get the .45 if you have a choice. The 9mm is cheaper overall (cheaper ammo), but the .45 has better knockdown power, and the mag capacity isn't too shabby (9 rounds).

The ergonomics are kinda crappy. It does feel like shooting a brick, but it is a reliable brick.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

They are better than nothing,if that was all I could afford I would buy one,it should work fine for a bedroom or glovebox gun but forget about concealed carry unless you wear a treanch coat regular. There carbines have caught my interest though.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:59 AM   #6

I hate them....They are bricks and rather inaccurrate. Buy a Kel-Tec P-11. Very nice gun! I got mine for $289 and a friend of mine got it for $269. You can get a 12 rd clip that fits flush with the bottom but they come with a 10rd clips. They are chambered in 9mm. And they are made in the USA!

Here is me shooting mine.

William Wade Smith

Old 02-25-2009, 03:33 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've seen the hi-points continually jam at the range, but better than a hammer I guess. Feels like holding a 14v power drill.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:10 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
They are better than nothing,if that was all I could afford I would buy one
+1

I might also look for a used Smith & Wesson Model 10.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The best question is what can you afford, I expect if you tell this forum your price range they will give you the best bang for the buck. If your looking to justify a hipoint I can't help you with that as I simply wouldn't own one.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
I do not like the fact that the firing pin acts as an extractor and will put a small dent on the primer when ejecting a live round if you need to clear the weapon.
Yikes! My experience is far more limited than other contributers. Are there other pistols that do that? Maybe I'm overreacting, but that sounds like kind of a dangerous system.