Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   If a Hi-Point was my only choice????? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/if-hi-point-my-only-choice-11240/)

joesal352 02-24-2009 07:35 PM

If a Hi-Point was my only choice?????

Hey I am looking at picking up somthing small and cheap, but I hear alot of mixed things about the Hi-Points. Can someone who owns one please give me the dirty on them. Should I get one or not?

divinginn 02-24-2009 10:23 PM

Small they are not,cheap they are.

dunerunner 02-24-2009 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by divinginn (Post 74697)
Small they are not,cheap they are.

Can't agree more, the 9mm is easily the size of my .45 (exageration), but the damn thing is huge. On the other hand, the Walther P22 is small and Cheap!

SGT-MILLER 02-24-2009 10:43 PM

When compared to other sidearms of comparable price, the Hi-Point is a decent deal.

I do not like the fact that the firing pin acts as an extractor and will put a small dent on the primer when ejecting a live round if you need to clear the weapon.

Otherwise, the Hi-Points are decent shooters. I would get the .45 if you have a choice. The 9mm is cheaper overall (cheaper ammo), but the .45 has better knockdown power, and the mag capacity isn't too shabby (9 rounds).

The ergonomics are kinda crappy. It does feel like shooting a brick, but it is a reliable brick.

divinginn 02-24-2009 11:39 PM

They are better than nothing,if that was all I could afford I would buy one,it should work fine for a bedroom or glovebox gun but forget about concealed carry unless you wear a treanch coat regular. There carbines have caught my interest though.

Mr. Dramatic 02-25-2009 01:59 AM

I hate them....They are bricks and rather inaccurrate. Buy a Kel-Tec P-11. Very nice gun! I got mine for $289 and a friend of mine got it for $269. You can get a 12 rd clip that fits flush with the bottom but they come with a 10rd clips. They are chambered in 9mm. And they are made in the USA!
Here is me shooting mine.

Gojubrian 02-25-2009 03:33 AM

I've seen the hi-points continually jam at the range, but better than a hammer I guess. Feels like holding a 14v power drill.

Bighead 02-25-2009 05:10 AM

Quote:

They are better than nothing,if that was all I could afford I would buy one
+1

I might also look for a used Smith & Wesson Model 10.

WDB 02-26-2009 02:24 AM

The best question is what can you afford, I expect if you tell this forum your price range they will give you the best bang for the buck. If your looking to justify a hipoint I can't help you with that as I simply wouldn't own one.

741512th 02-26-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER (Post 74708)
I do not like the fact that the firing pin acts as an extractor and will put a small dent on the primer when ejecting a live round if you need to clear the weapon.

Yikes! My experience is far more limited than other contributers. Are there other pistols that do that? Maybe I'm overreacting, but that sounds like kind of a dangerous system.