Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > If the big Army decided to adopt a new pistol...

View Poll Results: Which .45 ACP pistol would you choose for our armed services?
Glock 21SF 15 11.63%
Springfield XD45 Tactical 26 20.16%
Smith & Wesson M&P 45 21 16.28%
Heckler Kock HK45 14 10.85%
FNP 45 13 10.08%
Beretta Storm 45 6 4.65%
Sig Sauer P220 12 9.30%
Taurus 24/7 OSS 0 0%
Kimber Custom II 5 3.88%
Springfield Loaded Model 1911 17 13.18%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 12:56 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoptn46 View Post
I think a 1911 would be best, as USMC 03 said I never did like the feel of the 92, a good 5" 1911 just sits better in my hand. And hey bombdoc, ever had to fill out the paper work when a round has hit the sand in the clearing barrell?? Fun, Fun, Fun.

Pops
Never had to. I have seen the other filks out there pulling clearing barrel duty when one of their Soldiers did. It's pretty much automatic ART 15 for an ND, though.

Josh-US Army EOD (Bomb Squad)
Plenty of firearms and ammo.
A couple diesels sitting around.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member

Old 03-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fn fnp

For a service pistol I have favored the 1911 and 1911-A1 for most of my life and when the military switched to the Beretta I thought it was a mistake, but it was not. The 92FS is accurate and if you have a big hand and long fingers it feels real good. It is accurate and aside from magazine failures it is a good pistol. But the 9 mm is to weak for a true combat pistol and the 92FS design cannot be adapted to the .45ACP cartridge.

I recently saw a FN 45 FNP at the Gun store and I was truely impressed. I picked it up and it felt comfortable, and the balance was in my judgement is very good and a 14 rounds of .45 ACP magazine I am very impressed. The military should look hard and long at the FNP and adopt as our next service pistol. It feels great and I heard it shoots great, and FN makes some good and reliable military firearms

J Budd

Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #33
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

The 1911 is undoubtedly the greatest handgun of the 20th century, possibly in history. But... modern technology can take the same round, cheaper manufacturing, more capacity, and comparable dependability and put it into something like the Smith & Wesson M&P or Springfield XDm. Although I love Springfields, I'd go for the Smith due higher % of American manufacturing.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 03-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #34

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budd View Post
...But the 9 mm is to weak for a true combat pistol and the 92FS design cannot be adapted to the .45ACP cartridge.

J Budd
Well, ballistics debates aside, there is always the new 96A1 which uses the 92FS platform but chambered in .40 S&W which may be an option.

Also the Beretta Px4 Storm SD uses most of the same control set up as a 92FS but is chambered for .45 ACP, light to carry due to the polymer frame, and is probably less affected by environmental conditions like sand and dust than either a 92FS or a 1911.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #35

Liked 2393 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

Maybe the Army needs to look into developing their own weapon.

IMO the selections were all just a little limited.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Masterbalistic

I did check out the Beretta storm PX4 .45ACP. It has a rotory barrel lock-up which is nice and positive and is the only positive thing I can say about the pistol. I have not shot one but I have held on and I think the balance is off and I did not like the feel and because of the lock-up it will be finicky about the type of ammo used in it like the beretta cougar who used a simular lock-up. I believe the FN FNP is superior in feel and balance and reliability and accuracy.

Budd

Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #37

Quote:
For a service pistol I have favored the 1911 and 1911-A1 for most of my life and when the military switched to the Beretta I thought it was a mistake, but it was not. The 92FS is accurate and if you have a big hand and long fingers it feels real good. It is accurate and aside from magazine failures it is a good pistol. But the 9 mm is to weak for a true combat pistol and the 92FS design cannot be adapted to the .45ACP cartridge.

I recently saw a FN 45 FNP at the Gun store and I was truely impressed. I picked it up and it felt comfortable, and the balance was in my judgement is very good and a 14 rounds of .45 ACP magazine I am very impressed. The military should look hard and long at the FNP and adopt as our next service pistol. It feels great and I heard it shoots great, and FN makes some good and reliable military firearms

J Budd
I own an FNP 40 and I Would have no fears taking it into combat with me.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:34 AM   #38

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Im gonna bump this thread... Because I was just searching around for a story i remember hearing of the military looking to replace the berreta. Anyone have any information on that? I cant really find much about it on the internet so i was hoping someone might have some info from work (i.e. being in the military or something related).

Last I had heard they were heavily considering the fnp 45. Is that still the case or are we all in the dark until the decision is made, if one is made at all?

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 04-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #39

Liked 2393 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

What with all the hooblah and hablah about .40S&W, I'm a little

surprised the military hasn't been a little more embracing

towards it.

Beretta makes the 96A1, which is merely the 92A1 in

40 cal.

I just can't believe the army hasn't come up with something

hard-hitting, high-capacity, accurate, and dependable by now.

That indicates to me that they have no real need for a

strong sidearm in the modern battleground.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #40

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
I did check out the Beretta storm PX4 .45ACP. It has a rotory barrel lock-up which is nice and positive and is the only positive thing I can say about the pistol. I have not shot one ...
Try shooting one and then get back to us

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Closed Thread