Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > If the big Army decided to adopt a new pistol...

View Poll Results: Which .45 ACP pistol would you choose for our armed services?
Glock 21SF 15 11.63%
Springfield XD45 Tactical 26 20.16%
Smith & Wesson M&P 45 21 16.28%
Heckler Kock HK45 14 10.85%
FNP 45 13 10.08%
Beretta Storm 45 6 4.65%
Sig Sauer P220 12 9.30%
Taurus 24/7 OSS 0 0%
Kimber Custom II 5 3.88%
Springfield Loaded Model 1911 17 13.18%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The reason is really simple - MONEY. It costs huge amounts of money that the military doesn't have to change weapons systems. Not only the cost of new guns themselves but the additional items like spare parts, ammo, training, and the list goes on and on.

Until it's proven beyond any doubt that the current weapons are totally and utterly ineffective - there will be no change. This being said, special units with special missions will always be able to procure what they require due to the small scale of purchases needed...

Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
What would you vote for if the Dept. of Defense asked you to pick a new side arm?

Now remember, this is not for special operations, but for general issue to officers, MPs, and other personnel.

Let's go ahead and decide it should be a .45 ACP, and in my mind I would consider ease of use, training time, and cost. I couldn't vote for a 1911 platform or the HK45, no matter how good they are. If you think that are worth the cost difference, that is fine. A couple of the more affordable 1911 pistols that I would deem reliable are included in the selections.

Lets see how long before I get reprimanded by Cane for leaving out Colt's
we wasted tons of money on crappy double action over complicated pistols already.

1911A1 never shoulda been anything else there is no better easier to shoot more accurate safer to handle handgun out there.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Dammit, I hit the wrong choice (accidentally hit the S&W). I'm thinking (for sake of a different opinion) that maybe the SA XD45 Tactical might be a good choice. I'm thinking that it is weighs about half a pound less?? With all the other gear, cutting a little weight might be a good thing.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
Dammit, I hit the wrong choice (accidentally hit the S&W). I'm thinking (for sake of a different opinion) that maybe the SA XD45 Tactical might be a good choice. I'm thinking that it is weighs about half a pound less?? With all the other gear, cutting a little weight might be a good thing.
I picked the XD. I like mine. It is available in OD green . It is not complicated to operate or maintain. It is simple to use for easy training. Mine was only $570, a while back; i'd bet the military could pick one up for no more than $999.

I think the XD would be a good compromise; it has the .45ACP of the old school GI 1911's and approaches the magazine capacity of the M-9 (well, more so than a 7 or 8 round 1911 does). Now if it got down to some hand-to-hand scrapping, i'd rather have the ole 1911 or a CZ-75b for pistol whippin.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 02-09-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The M9 has it's drawbacks but it works and it's cheap and cheap to maintain. The M11s a few of the AF guys were carrying were pretty nice but I'm not a Sig fan. The MUE 'necks carry/carried HK USP 45s. The SOC guys can carry pretty much what they want, but most of them that we worked with had 1911s. We had lots of nice totes provided by other agencies; Springfield 1911s, Glock 19s and HK USP 45s. All had issues since "Big Army" wants a lanyard on any sidearm. I loved getting my ass reamed by the CSM on DFAC duty every day. (That was around OIF 6. Before that nobody cared) Ruger's P345KR was looking like top dog a when it came out (no idea how that happened) and some MACOMs were trying to field them. Beretta came out with an M9A1 in 2006 which the USMC is supposed be getting. I haven't seen a Marine with one yet. The M9/M9A1 contract was renewed in 2009 for another 450,000 over 5 years. It isn't going away. A rebuild kit is cheap and it's in the supply system.

Contracting for any replacement would be a nightmare. There is so much political crap and red tape that goes into new contracts. Anything not manufactured here is off the table. That has been policy for a while now concerning Military contracts. Must be at least 51% here to qualify. I will keep my opinion to myself concerning which in the poll I'm happy to see ineligible.

I would love to see a Colt 1911 as the issue sidearm again. A Browning HP would be great as well and is actually much more likely thanks to that NATO 9mm issue. I have no issues with the M9 and I own one that enjoy shooting.

$0.02

I voted S&W.

Josh-US Army EOD (Bomb Squad)
Plenty of firearms and ammo.
A couple diesels sitting around.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member

Last edited by BombDoc; 02-09-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8447 Times on 3665 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

The way our beloved Federal Gummint works, I fully expect the next military sidearm to be quite different. The 9mm NATO has too much recoil for many of the 85 lb shooters. And having to operate slide, insert magazine, etc, is just too, too confusing. Not to mention too many SMs lacking strength to rack the slide.

That is why I think the next sidearm will be a less complex weapon, with a lower recoil cartridge. A revolver, in .38 Long Colt.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The way our beloved Federal Gummint works, I fully expect the next military sidearm to be quite different. The 9mm NATO has too much recoil for many of the 85 lb shooters. And having to operate slide, insert magazine, etc, is just too, too confusing. Not to mention too many SMs lacking strength to rack the slide.

That is why I think the next sidearm will be a less complex weapon, with a lower recoil cartridge. A revolver, in .38 Long Colt.
That's good stuff there. Nearly compelled me to share some clearing barrel horror stories.

Josh-US Army EOD (Bomb Squad)
Plenty of firearms and ammo.
A couple diesels sitting around.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member

Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

I may be mistaken, but I think the government has already tried the .38 Koolaid with the .38 spcl from 1908-1911. And it failed miserably. This has inspired my next quest on google for irrefutable evidence.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Have to go with the M&P. Solid, reliable, and cheap.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sig P220 gets my vote. I've never been a fan of carrying the M9 at all...it works well so I can't fault it for that. I just don't care for the feel of it. Plus if you can't get it done with 8 rounds of .45 then you have no business carrying a handgun anyway.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Last edited by USMC-03; 02-09-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Closed Thread