Idaho Gun Laws
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Idaho Gun Laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Idaho Gun Laws

So my wife is going to be moving to Idaho for a couple of years, while I'm finishing up in Hawaii/Japan, because of a great teaching job she just got. Depending on how we like it there once I get there, we may end up staying in Idaho for awhile and not go right back to Cali.

I'm doing my own research but I was wondering what you guys have to say about gun laws there. Anything from what you guys think about CCW and open carry laws to assault weapon classifications would be helpful. I'm sure she will like it a lot more than California regardless! Any input helps, thanks in advance.

(I'd say she owes you but there's some purvs on here.. lol)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This link might help, if you have not looked at it so far. http://www.idaho.gov/laws_rules/firearm.html (copy-paste into browser if it doesn't come up as an actual link.)

The gun laws in Idaho appear to be a lot simpler than the ones where I am from. Of course anywhere you live in the united states there are going to be some grey areas in the laws or ones that just don't seem to make any sense. However it does appear that Idaho does allow concealed carry at the consent of the town or county sherif. As far as "assault weapons" go, (god I hate that term), Idaho does not seem to have any specific definition. I know where I am from there is a long list of firearms that the citizens are not supposed to own, as well as vast limitations of parts on firearms capable of accepting magazines of 10 rounds or higher.

Anyways, the link I posted is directly to the Idaho legislative page, or so the website says, it appears to be legitimate though. Good luck. I hope this helped, even if just a little. I can, though, guarantee that it will be better than cali.

Its always gun season.

USMC_Richey Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone40 View Post
This link might help, if you have not looked at it so far. http://www.idaho.gov/laws_rules/firearm.html (copy-paste into browser if it doesn't come up as an actual link.)

The gun laws in Idaho appear to be a lot simpler than the ones where I am from. Of course anywhere you live in the united states there are going to be some grey areas in the laws or ones that just don't seem to make any sense. However it does appear that Idaho does allow concealed carry at the consent of the town or county sherif. As far as "assault weapons" go, (god I hate that term), Idaho does not seem to have any specific definition. I know where I am from there is a long list of firearms that the citizens are not supposed to own, as well as vast limitations of parts on firearms capable of accepting magazines of 10 rounds or higher.

Anyways, the link I posted is directly to the Idaho legislative page, or so the website says, it appears to be legitimate though. Good luck. I hope this helped, even if just a little. I can, though, guarantee that it will be better than cali.
Thanks for the help. I did check out that gov site before but I didn't see the specific link that you posted so thank you. The only thing I could not find was how easy it is to actually obtain a CCW permit. I know almost anyone can apply that's clean (even in California) but that doesn't mean you're going to get it...

Are there anyone from Idaho or familiar with Idaho gun laws that needs to come forth and confess anything? Tell me before I give my wife the good news! Any quirky laws or anything awkward I should know about?

Old 09-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #4

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Richey

Thanks for the help. I did check out that gov site before but I didn't see the specific link that you posted so thank you. The only thing I could not find was how easy it is to actually obtain a CCW permit. I know almost anyone can apply that's clean (even in California) but that doesn't mean you're going to get it...

Are there anyone from Idaho or familiar with Idaho gun laws that needs to come forth and confess anything? Tell me before I give my wife the good news! Any quirky laws or anything awkward I should know about?
Hey,

Check this site out
http://handgunlaw.us/states/idaho.pdf

Idaho is a shall issue state and this page was updated 8/17/2012 last month.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #5

I live in the Boise area, but admittedly am not overly familiar with the gun laws. What others have posted is about what I know. My husband and my in-laws are more familiar. If you or your wife have specific questions, I can certainly ask.

Sorry for the completely useless reply. I'm fairly new to firearms and hopefully within a few months, I can take the class to be able to apply for my CCW permit.

Though if you want some entertainment regarding open carry, I know of one restaurant in the area that gives you a discount if you open carry.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2876 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Not terribly familiar w/ ID gun laws. However, if you're used to CA and HI, I'm sure you will adjust just fine. ID isn't one of the communist states. Hell, they honor my permit, so they can't be all bad There's a very good chance that you may not wish to go back to CA after living in a free state. It's too hard to turn back the clock once you start thinking about how much you'd have to give up. My wife & I have had "would it be possible to move to CA?" discussion a few times. (most of her family is there.) After each visit to CA, she remembers why I avoid it

Check this site for carry info:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #7

Liked 2216 Times on 1302 Posts
Likes Given: 484

I thought gun ownership was madatory in Idaho. If you belong to a militia, I think you have to have a minimum of 5 evil black rifles.

Just kidding. The laws in Idaho are pretty lax. Especially compared to Hawaii. CCW permits are shall issue, so as long as you don't have a reason to be denied, they must issue the permit. Open carry is legal. All the cool toys are legal if you do all the required paperwork for Silencers, SBRs, full auto etc. You could even put a full auto SBR on your concealed weapon permit.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #8

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Idaho is awesome. I live in Utah about an hour from the southern Idaho border. I... I can't imagine visiting Idaho and ever gng back to Commiefornia, but I love cold/snow and rural life. Man, this part of the world is God's country, and the natural beauty is only augmented by the amazing gun laws. Idaho laws are great, and you can come down here, I'll buy you lunch, and then I'll set you up to get the nation's greatest CCW liCense (currently good in 35 states, I believe). People in the intermountan west are reliable, hard-working, independent, and generally conservative (the good stuff; God, freedom, small gov, little entitlements, keep what you work for, etc.)

Um, did I mention how great Idaho is? Lol

Old 09-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #9

Liked 1001 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Check usacarry.com, and the brady bill page where they grade each state. The lower the grade, the better for us. We in NH are one of the lowest. I think we scored a 6 or so, only a couple from the bottom.....WooHoo!!

Old 09-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #10

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

I'd invest in a good potato gun, the ammo is the cheapest you'll find in the whole U.S..............

Just a little humor........
Smile. :-)