I would appreciate some expert advice. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > I would appreciate some expert advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2130 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunNovice View Post
Thank you I will take all of the advice given and try to find a range that rents in the area. See if we can find a handgun that fits the both of our hands. The 12 gauge on the other hand. I' ve never shot one but my wife shot her fathers about 10years ago and it knocked her on her ass, kind of funny at the time, Don't know much about shell loads. I do know the 12 gauge scares the crap out of her now as a result. Got to admit kind of scared me too. I should have shot it at the time, didn't want to make a fool of myself after that though. Again I appreciate all of the advice.
Yep, that happens. It often depends on what is loaded in the shotgun. If her father had a hot load in the gun, it would kick like a mule.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 01-30-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #12

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

Whatever you get learn proper use of it. Going to the range is great. But nothing beats a good class. If you dont have the money for a class another option is to go to a shooting event. Go to idpa.com. You can find a local club. We shoot once a month. There is always a safety briefing first. And a much more indepth one for first timers. Whenever we have a new shooter join in we only charge them $10 instead of $20. And we are much more leanient on the rules. We just help them to learn about safe handling. And there are always a bunch of very knowledgable people there.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

vincent Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
I have never owned a gun. I was in the Navy 25 years ago, we fired the 1911 in boot camp as I remember I did not do really well with it. My wife has no experience with firearms either. The people who live in and around our community are and have been getting robbed and beaten at gun point for nearly a year now. My wife and I have decided to be proactive and protect ourselves. I have done some research and have talked to some people and have decided on a mossberg 20 cal pump action shotgun and a Springfield arms XD9. Unless, someone with more experience than me can give me a better option for my wife and I. Moving to another neighborhood is not an option for us. Thank You very much to anyone who takes the time to help us.
I think you have picked two good weapons that will defend you, your wife and house nicely. As with some other posters as far as ammunition I too would go with buckshot for the shotgun and Hornadys Critical Defense. Good luck, Ed

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #14

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Good for you!!! Proactive is much better than reactive...

You're on the right path, the guys gave you some great advice...

Be interested in seeing what you chose and how the training is going, be sure to check back with us!!

Good luck and stay safe!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Thank you I will take all of the advice given and try to find a range that rents in the area. See if we can find a handgun that fits the both of our hands. The 12 gauge on the other hand. I' ve never shot one but my wife shot her fathers about 10years ago and it knocked her on her ass, kind of funny at the time, Don't know much about shell loads. I do know the 12 gauge scares the crap out of her now as a result. Got to admit kind of scared me too. I should have shot it at the time, didn't want to make a fool of myself after that though. Again I appreciate all of the advice.
Well if you are not comfortable wit ha 12 gauge then don't get one. The 20 will do fine with the right loads. I will say a 12 is easy to manage with the right loads too. But you adn your wife have to be comfortable with your choices. What I like and have is if no use to you. And if you are apprehensive of things like recoil then accuracy will be lost to say the least. I have a fathe i nlaw that turkey hunts with a youth model 20 ga. Always tags out and the thing has amazing range. It's lighter and shorter so it's easier to carry in the woods. It gets the desired results so it must have been a good choice. I'd love to say I fired my shotgun 8 times in 4 years and brought home 8 birds. A target is a target. You have to hit it to get any results. And being 100% comfortable with your firearm(s) is the most important step.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2868 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

There also seems to be sufficient ammo available for the .38 Special.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #17

Liked 4784 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
As said, good choices. For the shotgun, the mistake that many new shooters make- fearing the shotgun, it is held in a...... gingerly manner. When fired, the gun is able to move freely before it is stopped by your shoulder- and it picked up speed and slapped the poopy out of you.

Shotguns (and rifles) should be pulled FIRMLY into the pocket of the shoulder. When there is not free movement, it turns into more of a push than a collision. My 16 yr old granddaughter shoots a 20. DO NOT go get a Ramboed pistol grip only tacticool shotgun.

Whatever you buy, get some GOOD instruction, and practice practice practice.

PS- birdshot for birds. Buckshot for larger critters.
Bingo...

Training, training, training...because knowing how to load and fire a gun does not equate to knowing how to fight with one.

Tack
Old 01-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #18

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Robbed and beaten at gun point? Yikes!

In Home invasions then?

2 shotguns, a 20ga for her & 12ga for you. 1 or 2 handguns, I'd suggest 2 so you can each have one you shoot well. Something small, 380 or 9mm, for her and 45 for you.

I guess a thing to think about would be how many attackers has there been in these incidents around your neighborhood. Because I'd want to be sure each possible victim is covered incase they somehow got separated.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 887 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 87

As on sailor myself, who put in 20 years and retired, I say you have made a couple of good choices. I have Mossberg 20 under or bed on my side. Wife has a .38 on her side.
Just get out and practice, practice and practice.

img_0091_resized.jpg

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

vincent Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2821 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Your firearm choices seem pretty reasonable to me.

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Seek out Basic Pistol & Basic Shotgun. Proper training is imperative.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
vincent Likes This