I want a single stack .45 but I'm torn between..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > I want a single stack .45 but I'm torn between..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Default I want a single stack .45 but I'm torn between..

The new and awesome XDs and the SR1911 So has the 1911 platform ran it's course or is it still viable? is the SR1911 a safe queen or something that you can shoot allot? I don't know, I've never shot a 1911 more than a few boxes on an afternoon range trip. Of course we all know the XD's are the cream of the crop, I have extensive experience with them but is the XDs too small to be any fun for in .45? I carry a J-frame so I'm not really all that concerned about carrying. This would be for fun and for quick access around the home.

Any input or experience with these two firearms?

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #2

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

All I know is I have longed for the feel of that Ruger in my hand and it still eludes my LGS!!!

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 07-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #3

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
The new and awesome XDs and the SR1911 So has the 1911 platform ran it's course or is it still viable? is the SR1911 a safe queen or something that you can shoot allot? I don't know, I've never shot a 1911 more than a few boxes on an afternoon range trip. Of course we all know the XD's are the cream of the crop, I have extensive experience with them but is the XDs too small to be any fun for in .45? I carry a J-frame so I'm not really all that concerned about carrying. This would be for fun and for quick access around the home.

Any input or experience with these two firearms?
Single stack= 1911 = I too have never even seen the ruger
Double stack--- XD- Pee on the XDS

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 07-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #4

I found a few this weekend at a gun show but the people wanted waaaaaay too much money for them but I actually got to fondle the thing and it's damn sexy, feels like a much more expensive gun, I saw our LGS there and he said he could sell me one for the 650 to 750 range.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #5

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Yep, my buddy has an XD 45, I shot it some when I was looking to pick up an auto last summer, I couldn't hit either side of a barn with that damned thing if I were standing inside. I shot his Ruger P90 far more accurately and it was my first time shooting that. So far I have shot Glock and XD and don't like either, I haven't tried the M&P line yet I hear they have better ergos but I think the striker trigger is my problem.

I see the Ruger on many online auction sites as well, the price always seems inflated, I will wait til my LGS finally has one, probably be some time.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
Yep, my buddy has an XD 45, I shot it some when I was looking to pick up an auto last summer, I couldn't hit either side of a barn with that damned thing if I were standing inside. I shot his Ruger P90 far more accurately and it was my first time shooting that. So far I have shot Glock and XD and don't like either, I haven't tried the M&P line yet I hear they have better ergos but I think the striker trigger is my problem.
I've found that each technology requires different shooters technique, for instance I still can't shoot those freaking mouse guns for nothing, specifically the diamondback 380/9mm but I can with both eyes open hit center mass with snub nose j-frames every time without effort.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post

I see the Ruger on many online auction sites as well, the price always seems inflated, I will wait til my LGS finally has one, probably be some time.
The XD is a VERY accurate handgun- Won't say anymore

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 07-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
The XD is a VERY accurate handgun- Won't say anymore

What's your favorite right there in that picture HOSS?

Old 07-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the Ruger SR1911 is the one pistol that many want right now, me included that eludes us due to lack of availability. also per my LGS, he doesn't seem to think that they will be available in larger numbers for several months from now. he has had three in his shop and all three sold very quickly. right now i expect with high demand and limited availability, it's a seller's market and i wouldn't doubt that many are even sold for more than MSRP.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
What's your favorite right there in that picture HOSS?
Have to be the RIA 1911 9mm on top left
Next the XD 45acp---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET