I was thinking of purchasing a Beretta 96FS

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > I was thinking of purchasing a Beretta 96FS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I was thinking of purchasing a Beretta 96FS

I wanted to hear input on those who have owned one. How are they? Are they a good value, I've heard mixed opinions and are they a good home defense gun? I was thinking of getting a 96 instead of a 92, just to have more stopping power and the Beretta is a full frame gun, so I figured why not get the .40 cal version since it's the same size as the 92. I think I'd like a bigger frame pistol as my first handgun. I don't have huge hands, but they are bigger than average.

Last edited by DerickVonD; 01-29-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you had an opportunity to rent one yourself or send rounds through a friends? If not might want to throw that into your decision matrix. Good way to establish fit. Have you given any thought to the layout of your home which you want to defend? Any concerns if you don't hit the target?

Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalSenior View Post
Have you had an opportunity to rent one yourself or send rounds through a friends? If not might want to throw that into your decision matrix. Good way to establish fit. Have you given any thought to the layout of your home which you want to defend? Any concerns if you don't hit the target?
I'll have to find a decent shooting range I live in Baltimore County MD. The royal blue state isn't too gun friendly. I live in the basement and the walls are solid brick. The house was built in about 1918. There is a house connected to ours on one side, but on the other side its about a 10 foot space to the house next to this one on the left side and that house is solid brick as well.

Last edited by DerickVonD; 01-29-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 90

DerickVonD, I have a model 92FS Vertec stainless. It's more of a 1911 style than the standard FS, and
has the utility rail.

I really like the safety features and the de-cocking thumb safety. These features make me feel better
about havin a round in the chamber. That first shot being double action after the safety is disengaged
makes a negligent discharge less likely.

I have never had any problems with mine and for a full size pistol, I personally find it would be hard
to beat. There probably be a lot of Controversy from Glock and 1911 owners, which guns I also love.

Bob