I need a reliable pistol - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > I need a reliable pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #61
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1748 Times on 971 Posts
Likes Given: 5303

I'll show you pansy . . . . I have a Sterling 302 in 22lr Not that I would stand in front of it either.
I think a .22 at short range is still pretty effective.. .. .. .. .

On second thought, I'll take back "Pansy" Even the .22lr isn't pansy...

Now I like .44 Rem Mag, I like .45 ACP, I even like .357 Mag, I don't have 10mm nor do I have .40 SW, but both are up on the 9mm Parabellum.

I like .300 Win Mag, but I also like .22lr
I like to have what will do the job.

As "anna" says, there reaches a point where control of a suitable caliber is better than going large.

Please consider that many rely on .380 and 9mm everyday. Our military is saddled with a 9mm for sidearm.

My choice..... I carry a .45 ACP because moles fear me!

mole.jpeg  
People Like This 
Old 07-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #62

Liked 229 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
So would a 10mm be a better hunting round at 75 yards vs say a .44 magnum? Not trying any of this caliber arguments just wanting facts! I would rather have a semi auto to hunt deer with, thinking it would be pretty neat.
If you look hard enough, or buy a desert eagle (hurl), then you can find a 44mag in semi auto.
But, as Axxe stated, the 44. Is much more powerful, and has a better trajectory at that range, than a 10mm. The 10mm would do it at 75 yards, but even with a longer barrel, most shooters couldn't.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post

My choice..... I carry a .45 ACP because moles fear me!
Great post as usual KG, but I'll opt for laser surgery on moles.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #64

Liked 229 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Great post as usual KG, but I'll opt for laser surgery on moles.
Badum tsss
Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #65

Liked 2182 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

This statement is a little late, but right now I can find 10mm ammo easier than I can find 9mm, .40, or .45. But in normal times it would be fair to say that 10mm is a bit less common.

I primarily use 9mm and .45 because I'm familiar with both rounds and a few platforms that use them. Normally ammo is plentiful for both. Neither is a super stopper. If I want to stop something quick and I have a choice I'm going for a rifle or a shotgun.

.44 mag would be my preferred hunting handgun round.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So. .. .. Hopefully we have all added much to the discussion and the OP has the answer sought.

The answer has included pansies, skin problems and hunting. Where else can you get such complete answers?

People Like This 
Old 07-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #67
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1968 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 586

This has turned into a caliber war. Right now it is easier to find 40 S&W and 45ACP than 9mm.
Some things to keep in mind. If you need that pistol a 2:00 AM because the noise of someone breaking into your house woke you up, you are going to want something simple to operate. Forgetting to disengage a safety can be fatal. This brings to mind the DAO, DA/SA pistols. The CZ75-P07 is DA/SA and includes a kit to make the safety into a decocker. Otherwise it can be carried with the hammer up or down and the safety operates as a regular safety. The DA/SA allows the pistol to be used the same as a revolver on the first shot after which it works like a single action. The DAO acts like a revolver on all shots. The XD series is striker fired but has a grip safety along with the trigger safety. The Glocks basically have no safety except for the trigger and some of the triggers are pretty light. You do need to keep you finger off the trigger on any firearm until you need to shoot. Someone will bring up the 1911 which is a single action with a grip safety and thumb safety. Nice gun and with no extra parts to screw up the trigger pull it can have one of the best triggers out there. Not one I would leave the thumb safety disengaged.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
This has turned into a caliber war. Right now it is easier to find 40 S&W and 45ACP than 9mm.
Some things to keep in mind. If you need that pistol a 2:00 AM because the noise of someone breaking into your house woke you up, you are going to want something simple to operate. Forgetting to disengage a safety can be fatal. This brings to mind the DAO, DA/SA pistols. The CZ75-P07 is DA/SA and includes a kit to make the safety into a decocker. Otherwise it can be carried with the hammer up or down and the safety operates as a regular safety. The DA/SA allows the pistol to be used the same as a revolver on the first shot after which it works like a single action. The DAO acts like a revolver on all shots. The XD series is striker fired but has a grip safety along with the trigger safety. The Glocks basically have no safety except for the trigger and some of the triggers are pretty light. You do need to keep you finger off the trigger on any firearm until you need to shoot. Someone will bring up the 1911 which is a single action with a grip safety and thumb safety. Nice gun and with no extra parts to screw up the trigger pull it can have one of the best triggers out there. Not one I would leave the thumb safety disengaged.
Take a breath, I almost fainted before I finished the paragraph. .

oh..by the way.. a 1911 is better than a Glock.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 07-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #69

Liked 2490 Times on 1421 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
They also use ball ammo (not really designed to kill).
They went the 9mm to be compatible with European allies in NATO. The European mind set seems to be centered around wounding, where we are not.

In old warfare, if you wound an enemy, you eliminate 3 people.
The wounded and 2 others assisting the wounded.

If you kill an enemy, the others continue fighting.

Was the Army wrong? No, but they also had the M-16 for a long time, and now are using other calibers than the 5.56. Ever wonder why it was used in warfare and not recommended for hunting game in the 200# range?
The requirements of hunting game are to have a "humane" kill.
This is all true, Dan.

I stand by my post, as the OP is looking for a "reliable"

pistol, and IME, NOTHING is more reliable than the 92.

In WWII, the Wehrmacht was satisfied with the power of the

9mm, and it had a history with them dating over 35 years.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #70

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by freighttrain64
I am looking for a pistol with enough punch to take somebody down in a home invasion. I am looking for something from a 9mm and up in caliber. I have shot and can handle anything from a .22 up to a 454 casul. I have a fairly large hand and am looking for a full length pistol. Any suggestions?
Glock 19, high capacity, concealable, yet probably big enough for your large paws!! Shoots 9mm which probably is the most available ammo to still get your hands on that wont cost you a fortune!! Oh and she shoots very sweet-