Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   I need help selecting a Handgun. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/i-need-help-selecting-handgun-31077/)

brancher 08-29-2010 08:23 PM

I need help selecting a Handgun.

Okay, so I am the quintessential renaissance man, with an education, appreciation for fine liberal fiction, eagle scout, etc, etc. But I have this nagging suspicion that I need to pick up some personal firearm protection. I mean more than the old Glenfield .22 bolt I have stashed after using it to spend most of my youth killing varmints - it's oer 35 years young, still shoots ON THE $$$ . (really it is a GREAT rifle, very accurate, great for small game and target stuff).

Anyway, I have come to believe that the best I should do right now is to pick up a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm auto, supplemented by a 9mm snubbie 5-rnd revolver. Same ammo, light weight gun as well as full size, etc, etc.

I have shot the PX4 .40 s&w as well as the Bersa .380 and the Ruger LCP, and it the .40 is a very smooth, very fun, and very manageable pistol - so I'm thinking that the 9mm would be MORE smooth, etc.. But I'd like some opinions on this pistol as well as any other guns out there before I jump (after all, it IS money).

Why 9mm? well, price of ammo, availability of ammo, etc. You get it.

Thoughts?

Br....

CHLChris 08-29-2010 08:57 PM

What are your purposes for this gun? Bedside table? Everyday carry (EDC)?

There are so many great guns out there (and so little time) that purpose means everything.

Only after knowing your purpose(s) can you decide on caliber. And then decide on platform.

And I think I have come to the same realization as you concerning firearms. I'm perhaps a year ahead of you, but came from the same place. Best of luck. You found a great forum!

hunter Joe 08-29-2010 09:12 PM

IMHO if the firearm fits you and is of good quality, I believe that ultimately that's the one your going to be happy with. Your going to have people tell you to buy this or that, but it's your budget and taste.

I've shot and sell PX4 Storms and I believe they are one of the many finer firearms produced today.

skullcrusher 08-29-2010 09:14 PM

Who makes the 9mm snubbie revolver? Those are a tad rare, no?

CHLChris 08-29-2010 09:27 PM

The elegance of a semi-auto and a revolver, both of the same caliber, is enticing. In practice, however, it might be best to choose the "best" firearm within a platform (revolver, for instance), and then embrace the caliber designed for that platform (.38spl/.357 magnum, for example).

I recently had the same thought and wiser people than I convinced me to embrace the inelegance of multiple calibers.

Shihan 08-29-2010 09:53 PM

You can pick up a Taurus 905 for about $370. Shouldn't be to hard to find them.

brancher 08-30-2010 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 340831)
The elegance of a semi-auto and a revolver, both of the same caliber, is enticing. In practice, however, it might be best to choose the "best" firearm within a platform (revolver, for instance), and then embrace the caliber designed for that platform (.38spl/.357 magnum, for example).

I recently had the same thought and wiser people than I convinced me to embrace the inelegance of multiple calibers.

Ah, good point. The Storm is for home/car/training/etc, the revolver is for home/wife/self/carry. It's a Taurus 905 (or 905b). Well-thought-of tool. The only other very small platform I like for home is a hammerless snubbie, and it is a .38sp.

I already have been convinced to forego the subcompact pistols in lieu of a full platform, and after having practiced a bit with the LCP, I agree. The small revolvers I've handled are good for in-house or carry. Simple, shootable, maintainable. On the other hand, after having also practiced with a Taurus Judge 3" packed with a .45 mag, well I'm thinking that's more than I really need or want. I liked the .40 S&W for its accuracy, stability, ease of use, and range, and a .380 Bersa Thunder I used is fun, pretty much foolproof, and more carryable (I guess). And even though around here the .380 and the .45 are the biggest sellers, I figured the 9mm is a good in-between round that can be had in diferent loads at not-too-expensive prices.

Don't know a lot about stopping power of the 9mm compared to the .380, the .38 sp, or the .40, but I do know very good self defense rounds are readily available for all of them.

But you are saying that perhaps I'm putting the cart before the horse?

Please educate me ....... :confused:

BTW, never shot a .38 sp, so I cannot comment on a lightweight gun with this load. Maybe somebody else can?

Thanks.

Br

brancher 08-30-2010 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter Joe (Post 340813)
IMHO if the firearm fits you and is of good quality, I believe that ultimately that's the one your going to be happy with. Your going to have people tell you to buy this or that, but it's your budget and taste.

I've shot and sell PX4 Storms and I believe they are one of the many finer firearms produced today.

As far as fit, the Storms fit perfectly and feel the best to me so far. The Bersa is also a very good fit,. The LCP is a little squirrelly in my hand, and the little snubbies fit both me and my wife well. I am a little wary of the Glocks and some Sigs because of the safetys, so I haven't pursued them at all.

CHLChris 08-30-2010 03:38 AM

Do you have a friend with a bunch of different firearms you could go to a range and try out? You could rent a few different guns at the range (I know the range fees could add up quickly, but as Canebrake has said in another thread "You are worth it").

Without being judgmental at all, you really do seem at the very beginning of a long learning curve.

Everyone here has an opinion, but you really need to begin to firm up what you want. And I don't mean, "I want a Taurus Judge in .45 long colt/.410 gauge with Crimson Trace and holstered in a Crossbreed Supertuck." I mean basic questions that at least give you a direction to do some reading. Size? Caliber? Steel vs. polymer?

One decision it sounds like you have made is starting with a platform of a larger size (vs. some small gun appropriate for carry). I think that's a good idea.

Get something full-size, and then shoot it a LOT at the range and take some training classes to ensure you're instilling good habits.

I started with a Glock 9mm. Ultimately, I decided to sell it and buy a steel 1911 in .45acp. But that doesn't mean that's the right decision for you.

brancher 08-30-2010 09:48 AM

Thanks, no offense taken about the learning curve, because you're right. I have lots of hunting experience over the years, and have shot probably a dozen or so handguns over the years, but as far as personal preferences, I really am at the beginning! Thanks all fo the advice, I will try as many as possible before jumping. (to the extent that I can around here - there are no ranges near here with rentals).