I need help picking an inexpensive first handgun please. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

I need help picking an inexpensive first handgun please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I will tell you that if you grip the Taurus .40 correctly, the recoil won't be an issue. The .40 cal round (standard 180 grain) has a reputation of a slightly higher recoil than a .45 ACP (230 grain). I have found that if you take the time to grip your weapon correctly, the recoil isn't all that bad.

If you do get the Taurus, you won't go wrong. Taurus is a very respectable company and they have went a long way as far as quality and customer service goes.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This is obviously just my opinion.

The gunshop where I work will not stock Taurus handguns because of spotty quality, dependability and poor customer service/warranty issues.

I know that some folks have had good experience with Taurus pistols and customer service, but in my exposure to Taurus, that is more the exception than the rule.

If you have your heart set on a Taurus, by all means, buy it. Personally, I would not trust my or my family's lives to a Taurus.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
This is obviously just my opinion.

The gunshop where I work will not stock Taurus handguns because of spotty quality, dependability and poor customer service/warranty issues.

I know that some folks have had good experience with Taurus pistols and customer service, but in my exposure to Taurus, that is more the exception than the rule.

If you have your heart set on a Taurus, by all means, buy it. Personally, I would not trust my or my family's lives to a Taurus.
What is your experience with the Ruger P95's? Have they also had reliability issue's? I think I am leaning toward the P95.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Unfortunately, I have zero experience with Ruger semi automatics. My Ruger experience is limited to revolvers. We sell quite a few at the shop, and I don't see any comebacks.

The Springfields similarly, don't come back either. My personal experience with Springfield is limited to a MilSpec 1911 and it was an outstanding pistol. I have been considering an XD9 sub compact and would feel confident with any of the XD line of pistols.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

sorry, double tap.

Last edited by CA357; 06-29-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #26

Thanks for the links. I am checking them out now. The P95, seems to have good reviews.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #27

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My personal P95 has performed flawlessly.

It is one of the best deals out there right now.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #28

Hi,
you can't go wrong with the ruger. I have the P94 in 40 cal. It is a very reliable choice. I have also had good experiences with the taurus pt pro series(PT-111 pro to be precise).

Either would be a good choice, entry level weapon.

If possible, shoot both before making a final decision. If you can't, weigh your options carefully and choose the best fit for you.

I also had a P-97 in 45acp years ago, very similar to the p-95, very reliable as well.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #29

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've enjoyed my P85. It's very similar to the P95, except the frame is steel instead of polymer. The only time it ever failed was when my 12 year old was limp wristing it while shooting some very old, cheap ammo. It has never FTF or FTE with newer ammo. I would like it better if I had bigger hands, but it's very comfortable to shoot, reasonably accurate, and recoil is very light.

I need help picking an inexpensive first handgun please. - Semi-Auto Handguns

Old 06-30-2009, 01:00 AM   #30

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Here's a pic of my typical results at 15 yards with the P95.

Keep in mind that I wasn't shooting up to the capability of the pistol (i.e. the pistol itself will shoot tighter groups).

The P95 is a well engineered defender.

I need help picking an inexpensive first handgun please. - Semi-Auto Handguns