Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > I need help picking an inexpensive first handgun please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Bradyman - First off, Welcome to our little Firearms Community.

THANK YOU!

In searching for your first gun, you really need to decide what type of weapon you want, and definitely go to a shop that can rent some of them to you so you can try them out yourself.

I am planning on going early next week.

Feel of the weapon is going to be important. What fits your hand well? If you have small hands, and buy a double stacked magazine model with a large handle like the M9/Taurus PT92, it might be ackward to shoot.

Do you want to customize the pistol? Because a Glock or a Springfield XD is going to be limited to what you can do to the pistol.

I am not planning to do much customizing. A grip or sights would probably be my limit.

Do you want a polymer gun? Steel frame and slide? Half & half? Do you want several safety features, or just one?

The polimer sounds good I would like more than just a trigger saftey (like the Sigma) but this will not make or break the deal

Is the country of origin of the pistol maker important??

USA is preferred but not an absolute requirement

These are some questions you need to ask yourself before you start narrowing the field down for purchase.

I am pretty open, I want something priced under $400.00, that ammo is not to outrageous for, that can be a definsive pistol if needed, that is fairly accurate. Other than that I am open to suggestions.

JD
Thanks for the help guys!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Take your time and be deliberate and you'll do fine. Good luck. The research should be part of the fun too.

Just my 2cents, tell your wife that guns are supposed to be dangerous.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

https://www.southernohiogun.com/index.php/cz-82-9x18-w-hols-andextra-mag-1.html CZ-82 for about $200

AMM-401 - Ammo 9x18 Makarov Wolf 100 Grain Bi-metal FMJ 50 Round Box cheaper than 45ACP ammo

I'm considering one of these for some fun & cheap plinking & potentially for later concealed carry use. I don't know about getting this as a first gun, but it looks less imposing than my XD45 (might help with the wife).

Old 06-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Look used or watch GunBroker.com Online Gun Auction

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #15

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Some guns under $400
Ruger P95
Taurus 24/7
EAA Z99 (it's a polymer Sig P228 made by Zastava)
Bersa Thunder (not the Thunder 380)
Ruger SR9

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 06-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #16

Well I think I am between the Ruger P95, new with 2 - 15 round magazines for $306.00 or a slightly used Taurus PT140 with 2- 10 round magazines, 1 conceal holster, 1 side holster, case, cleaning kit, and 100 rounds of ammo for $300.00. Which is a better gun / a better deal. I know the ruger would be more economical to shoot since it is a 9MM and the Taurus is a 40 cal. Suggestions?

Thanks
Jason

Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My suggestion would be to go with the Ruger (I am a little biased though...lol).

What is your gut telling you?

Old 06-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
My suggestion would be to go with the Ruger (I am a little biased though...lol).

What is your gut telling you?
I prefer the safety on the Taurus over the Ruger. I like the small size and the caliber of the Taurus. I like the appearance of the Taurus more.

With that being said, I am worried that the small size of the Taurus with the larger caliber will cause more recoil, the 40 cal ammo, while it would be more effective is also more expensive. I have read more about the Taurus. I am concerned with possible jams on the Taurus. I like the magazine capacity of the Ruger more.

I think for the price I am able to get either that are both a reasonable value, but I think the Taurus is a little better deal (they are retailing around me for about $370.00 new with out the holsters, cleaning kit, or ammo).

I think with what I have read I have a little more faith in the Ruger, but I would prefer to own the Taurus if it had no issue's and the recoil wasn't terrible.

I could always get me a Hi-point 9MM in the future for a cheap target pistol.

So as you can see, I am thoroughly confused!

Old 06-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

How much shooting have you done at this point? It would be helpful if you had a general idea of what various calibers shoot and feel like to facilitate your decision.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
How much shooting have you done at this point? It would be helpful if you had a general idea of what various calibers shoot and feel like to facilitate your decision.
Not much! I am under the impression that the barrel length, gun size, and gun weight will signifigantly change the felt recoil, it that accurate? I am planning a trip soon to a gun range that rents many guns. The rent the Ruger P95 but they do not rent the Taurus Millenium series pistols. They have ALOT of glocks. I spoke with them on the phone and the highly suggest the Glocks, and in their opinion an acceptable alternate is the Springfield XD and that is the only guns that they would recommend. I just don't have that kind of cash to plop down on a fire arm at this point. I don't have to have the best, but I would like something that is reliable.

If all other were equal I would prefer the Taurus. If the Ruger is a more accurate (longer barrel), or more reliable then I would prefer the Ruger. I think I can teach my wife to shoot either, as long as it doesn't fly out of her hand when she shoots it . (the wife is 5'4" 130 lbs)