Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > I need help picking an inexpensive first handgun please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I need help picking an inexpensive first handgun please.

I am a total newbie when it comes to handguns. I am looking to purchase my first and I want a semi-auto 9mm. I have chose the 9MM due to the lower ammo cost so that I can shoot more and become more familiar with my gun. I am looking at a ruger p95, Taurus millenium pro, or a smith and wesson sigma. I can get the ruger for about $306.00 and the others are in the $370.00 range. Does anyone have a suggestion on these or another semi-auto? I want to target shoot, home defend, possibly carry one day but I wouldn't be opposed to getting a second gun for that in the future. Thanks for the advice!

Jason

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #2

I would stay away from the S&W Sigma. I had one for two weeks and traded it away due to the extremely long trigger pull. I picked up a Springfield XD instead and have been REALLY happy with it.

I've also got a Ruger P85, which is the older version of the P95 and it's a great gun. I'm replacing the springs in it right now, but otherwise I've been very happy with it.

Final word, I would would stay away from the Sigma.

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Old 06-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If you can handle and test fire the potential pistols, it would be very helpful.

I would also suggest that you not overlook a used pistol. There are some firearms out there that have never been fired and some that have been fired very little. The potential is there for a higher quality firearm at a really good price. Just make sure that you have someone that knows their stuff to help you with it.

When I was new, I only bought new firearms. But as my knowledge and skills grew, I became much more comfortable with used guns. But I also got stuck a few times too.

Good luck on your quest. If it's dependable, any firearm is a good thing.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #4

I'd say save an extra ~$100 and get a cz 75b. It probably shoots as good as 9mm's $300 more expensive. They go for around $450 in my area. I've heard the Ruger SR9 is a decent inexpensive 9mm too. I saw one for $399 the other day at my LGS. Was hard not getting it. Just a few other things to think about.

Of the ones you listed, though, I have no idea. Sorry.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Ruger P95

The P95 is a good choice, one of the best bang for the buck... a Taurus would be nice but I do prefer the 24/7 instead of the PT111 (wich is nice too but as a backup)

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 06-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default A revolver maybe?

Have you thinked about a .38spl or 357Mag revolver?
Taurus and Ruger have exelent revolvers in those calibers and in the price range that you looking for.... Taurus 85, 650, 605, 65, Ruger SP101 ...Charter Arms is an option also.

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 06-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #7

Picking from that group I'd probably go Ruger. Not that the others aren't nice but for that money, with those choices, I think Ruger is the winner.

For a couple hundred more, XD's and M&P's and Glocks (oh my!) become available and then, well, the sky's the limit.

My only advice is to be sure you really want what you think you want. I found when I first got into handguns that I'd walk in not really knowing what I wanted, then get all wrapped around whatever the salesman was selling me or what I saw in the glass case. If the money's burning a hole in your pocket, the safest thing to do is to slow it down, do a little research and be sure you're making a good, educated decision rather than just taking what's in stock or settling for what you can get for what you have in your pocket, when something MUCH better could be had if you waited until next pay day.

But then, I don't presume to know your circumstances either.

Just my couple of pennies.

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 06-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Bradyman - First off, Welcome to our little Firearms Community.

In searching for your first gun, you really need to decide what type of weapon you want, and definitely go to a shop that can rent some of them to you so you can try them out yourself.

Feel of the weapon is going to be important. What fits your hand well? If you have small hands, and buy a double stacked magazine model with a large handle like the M9/Taurus PT92, it might be ackward to shoot.

Do you want to customize the pistol? Because a Glock or a Springfield XD is going to be limited to what you can do to the pistol.

Do you want a polymer gun? Steel frame and slide? Half & half? Do you want several safety features, or just one?

Is the country of origin of the pistol maker important??

These are some questions you need to ask yourself before you start narrowing the field down for purchase.

JD

Old 06-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #9

I think that Cane will back me up when I say, go for a Jennings .25... fairly cheap to shoot and will stop a raging squirrel dead in it's tracks. You never know when you will need to protect yourself from rabid rodents; with this you can and will look cool while doing it.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 06-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #10

I am not really interested in the revolvers I would prefer a semi-auto. I am planning a trip to the range soon to try out a few of the guns. I have been wanting a handgun for several years, I was just able to talk my wife into it, but she has me on a tight budget. She has always thought that they were dangerous. I would like to get something before she changes her mind again . I have thought about purchasing a used gun and I have called several pawn shops in my area but the ones that have them want almost as much as a new one cost for the same guns. I would prefer to buy something I can look at before I buy so used internet guns are out. The pistols I have mentioned above are the only ones that I have found that are really in my price range unless someone knows of something I am overlooking. Well there is still Hi Point but for my only handgun I don't want to risk it. I want to know if I need it it will be there and be fairly reliable, I don't think I could put that much trust in a Hi Point.