Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > I just ordered a Taurus Pt99....please say something nice:-)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I just ordered a Taurus Pt99....please say something nice:-)

I know Taurus has people that either love them or hate them, but I've had excellent performance form my PT1911, so I wanted to give the Beretta clone a shot. I've read the archives here and it seems the yeas outweighed the nays for this pistol. I just wanted to know from anyone that has one, how are the adjustable sights on these? Do they hold zero well? I got the adjustable PT99 model so I can tune in any weight bullet.
Be nice or I'll cry.

MotorG20

Last edited by MotorG20; 02-21-2010 at 05:12 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'll tell you that my cousin has the Taurus Beretta clone in 9mm. I don't know what model it is, but for some weird reason no one can fix the rear sight. Every time he pulls the trigger the pin block somehow pushes the rear sight skyward. No one can figure out why it happens and I don't know squat about them so I stay out of it. Other than that, it goes bang.

I can say if it is at all like what it clones it will be a great firearm. I used a 96 when I went through the academy and loved it.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I'll tell you that my cousin has the Taurus Beretta clone in 9mm. I don't know what model it is, but for some weird reason no one can fix the rear sight. Every time he pulls the trigger the pin block somehow pushes the rear sight skyward. No one can figure out why it happens and I don't know squat about them so I stay out of it. Other than that, it goes bang.

I can say if it is at all like what it clones it will be a great firearm. I used a 96 when I went through the academy and loved it.
Uh oh, I feel the tears startin'. I hope the sights are ok on mine

MotorG20

Old 02-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

In all fairness I don't think the problem was with Taurus and that model, I think there is something wrong with that particular gun. Like I said no one knows what is wrong with it. If it was that common, there is a good chance someone would have seen it before.

You'll be fine. Imagine if you had just bought a Glock G22 and then saw all the hate mail their getting on the Glock section right now

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #5

Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've tried the PT99 and it performed like the Beretta. Both are known to be extremely reliable and accurate.
I read that the Taurus PT99 resulted from Beretta's licensing Taurus to build Berettas. Once the contract ended, Taurus came out with their clone. Some say the Beretta is machined or finished a little more smoothly. But who knows ?
You've got yourself a good gun. Hope you have the big hands to fit it.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nobody should have to apologize for their choice in firearms. Enjoy your new pistol when you get it!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #7

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I can't wait to get it!!!!
Hey Rentacop, if I can get my hans around a Glock 20, I'm sure I'll be ok with the PT99. The Glock 20 grip is like a brick.

MotorG20

Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've owned multiple of both the Taurus and the Beretta. I actually prefer the frame mounted safety on the Taurus. The only thing I know to watch out for (on the Taurus and the Beretta) is cracks forming in the locking block. This was a known weakness early on but I suspect they use a stronger piece now...

Old 02-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #9

I say congrats! It is not possible to own too many guns, is it?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #10

Liked 1678 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Bone View Post
I say congrats! It is not possible to own too many guns, is it?
my wife would disagree. But I keep proving her wrong.