I got a new (to me) pistol today
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > I got a new (to me) pistol today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7787 Times on 4675 Posts
Likes Given: 9764

Default I got a new (to me) pistol today

My Dad is in a nursing home and he wanted to get his two firearms out of his now empty house. He has an old Marlin bolt action .22 rifle and a Browning FN .32 cal. My brother took the rifle and I got the FN. Here's some lousy cell phone pictures of it.

FABRIQUE NATIONALE D'ARMES DE GUERRE HERSTAL BELGIQUE
Brownings Patent Depose

Then in front of the trigger guard is FN in a etched box. Also the Browning logo and very tiny is WA140, I believe. It is very tiny and kind of worn.

It is a very old gun, I believe dating back to WWII. My Dad has had it since I was young. All the serial numbers match.

browning.jpg   fn.jpg   gun-logo.jpg  

Last edited by winds-of-change; 12-31-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Sweet! You have some luck. Go buy a lottery ticket.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #3

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I wish I could tell you something about it...I don't know much. I'm sure somebody does. Is that a Model 1910? Here's a good thread if it is. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=202708

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #4

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Cool! I have two friends with 1922 Brownings.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 AM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
My Dad is in a nursing home and he wanted to get his two firearms out of his now empty house. He has an old Marlin bolt action .22 rifle and a Browning FN .32 cal. My brother took the rifle and I got the FN. Here's some lousy cell phone pictures of it.

FABRIQUE NATIONALE D'ARMES DE GUERRE HERSTAL BELGIQUE
Brownings Patent Depose

Then in front of the trigger guard is FN in a etched box. Also the Browning logo and very tiny is WA140, I believe. It is very tiny and kind of worn.

It is a very old gun, I believe dating back to WWII. My Dad has had it since I was young. All the serial numbers match.
Nice gun Winds...has a family resemblance to the Browning Hi Power. Could be a valuable model, give C3 or Cane a ping to get their opinion.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #6

Looks larger than a 1910 now that I look again. Is there a swastika anywhere on it?

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #7

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82
Looks larger than a 1910 now that I look again. Is there a swastika anywhere on it?
Could be a 1910/22 variant...has the longer barrel and the thinner look compared to the 1910 base model.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-31-2012, 03:08 AM   #8
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7787 Times on 4675 Posts
Likes Given: 9764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
No swastika.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:29 AM   #9

Here's some info I found on a similar gun:

THE GUN:

The M1922 has the checquered walnut grips, making it a 2nd variation and has a WaA140 stamp. From what I have read, the Wa140 is a 7.65 (32acp), but the magazine in stamped "9m/m"; which would be the .380 acp version
The serial number is out of the range of any list of serial numbers I have seen: 2164xx with no prefix or suffix. Need parts, firing pin snapped off.

THE RESPONSE:

Waffenamt inspector #140 worked at FN from late 1941 to the end of the German occupation. The Germans took over 9mm Browning (.380 ACP) pistols that were in the factory at the time of the occupation, but that caliber was not in their supply system so the guns made for them were all in 7.65 Browning (.32 ACP).

The serial number of that pistol would indicate manufacture in the mid to late 1930's; it would seem strange it was not taken over until late 1941, but in chaotic times, things get overlooked. The magazines of the two calibers seem to interchange as far as working goes, but there are slight differences and I would hesitate to call them interchangeable.

The firing pin is identical to that of the Browning Model 1910 and the Model 1908 Colt .25 ACP, which might help your search for the part. I think Gun Parts was having them reproduced. Breakage is common because they have a long tip that is also the ejector. They can be repaired by drilling out the front end and inserting a piece of drill rod, but that is costly and a last resort.

Some other info:

This is what the Blue Book of Gun Values has to say:

MODEL 1922 or 10/22FN - 7.65mm (.32 ACP) or .380 ACP cal., modified Model 1910 with 4 1/2 in. barrel, longer grip frame and mag., made for commercial sale as well as military and police contracts. Several hundred thousand made by Nazis during the occupation of Leige, Belgium 1940-44. Mfg. between 1922-83.

100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%

$275 $250 $200 $175 $150 $125 $110

Add 150% if .380 ACP Waffenamt proofed.
Add 15% for A prefix serial number/
Add $100 minimum for special contract markings.
The model 10/22 and M1922 are the same pistol. The Model 1910 was modified by FN technicians for sale to Serbian armed forces in 1923. Also sold to France, Holland, Germany, Greece, Turkey, and other countries.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?90104-WTT-Nazi-FN-1910-22-Pics-Added

Old 12-31-2012, 03:51 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 680

It is the 1910-22 variant. They were made until 1983 and were imported here for a while. You have the original grips. They were used by the military and police. A lot of them were refinished. You could swap barrels to 9mm short/380. Value would depend on condition and age.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.