I dont know much - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > I dont know much

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Before passing Go, take a Hunters Safety Course or Firearms Safety Course.

Consider "firearm" in lieu of "weapon".

And to repeat redfox, find a range where you can rent and try a few things before you buy so you can make an informed choice. Reading this forum will leave your head spinning with various opinions and recommendations (including this one).

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 02-09-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #12

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0L0slick
I'm just starting out in the gun world, and I'm looking to make a gun purchase and need suggestions. I'm looking to get the most reliable, inexpensive weapon on the market. Any thoughts? The main uses for the weapon is self Defense and the gun range.
Get a copy of the gun digest look it over then go to a good gun shop an handle the ones that peak your intrest, before u buy an head out shootin take a gun safety course

Old 02-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #13

Word of caution...my friend bought a gun strictly for self and home defense but he said maximum he would spend is $250. By setting a budget, he limited his options. My argument to him was that even tho I shoot more than he, he should rent various models to get one that feels natural to him. He didn't listen and got a s&w plastic p.o.s. Took it to the range and both he and his wife preferred my guns which were not more expensive. Besides it's ur life when it comes to self defense. My advise, rent some guns and talk to more experienced shooters at the range.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0L0slick
I'm just starting out in the gun world, and I'm looking to make a gun purchase and need suggestions. I'm looking to get the most reliable, inexpensive weapon on the market. Any thoughts? The main uses for the weapon is self Defense and the gun range.
Take a look at a Hi-point 9mm. I've done little research on them and they seem to be a pretty sound firearm. U can find some that go for around $150. Just be careful when buying at a price like this. Make sure you take into account the advice of the other members and test a variety of guns out at the range frist before u buy. Good luck

Old 02-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #15
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7147 Times on 4303 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Consider "firearm" in lieu of "weapon".
Why the difference in terminology?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Me too, Inquiring minds would like to know!

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #17

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
I think he is referring to the term "weapon" meaning in the "defined" sense noun
1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon. 2. anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim: the deadly weapon of satire. Whereas the "definition" for firearm is "a small arms weapon, as a rifle or pistol, from which a projectile is fired by gunpowder." So it's a technicality!

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Weapon typically carries with it a negative connotation.

To me, a weapon is something you attack someone with. It can be anything, a sword, gun, knife, car, a big stick you found in the woods. I don't attack people with my firearms, so I typically refrain from calling them weapons.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 02-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

The hi-point is a good option, my friend's wife has one and loves it. Surprisingly accurate too. I'd recommend any Ruger p-series pistol for the all around "budget bang for your buck" though. I'll also second the need for a firearms training/safety course. Worth every penny, in so many ways.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Forgive me if I'm stepping anyone's toes, but a Kel-Tec is a terrible suggestion. I like Kel-Tec and in fact own a pair of them. I carry my PF9 daily and it's never let me down. But their pistols are exclusively built around an ultra-light simple carry concept...they'd never be a reasonable choice for a range/HD gun. Minimalist ergos, sucky triggers, accuracy can be difficult, limited capacity, and not exactly built like tanks.

For $200 or less, Hi-Point is probably the way to go. It's a cheap gun and one ugly SOB, but has a strong performance record relative to the cost.

For the best results in a good value purchase, you want to get yourself into the $300-500 tier. Almost everything in that range is a solid gun, though I'd personally steer clear of Taurus. 9mm or 40sw probably offer the best bang for your budget when it comes to range/defense calibers.