I dont know much
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > I dont know much

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I dont know much

I'm just starting out in the gun world, and I'm looking to make a gun purchase and need suggestions. I'm looking to get the most reliable, inexpensive weapon on the market. Any thoughts? The main uses for the weapon is self Defense and the gun range.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

What kind of weapon. Are you looking for a pistol, or shotgun?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113
What kind of weapon. Are you looking for a pistol, or shotgun?
Looking to get a pistol

Old 02-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #4

Ok with a pistol in mind. Do you have a preference on single or double action, caliber, price range, semi auto or revolver? Are you looking for a concealed carry or mainly just home defense pistol? There are a lot of variables and a lot of products out there. The one thing I will say for sure is everyone is different on what feels good in their hand or how they carry so I could give you a few of my favorites based on the answers you provide to those questions but it will boil down to how YOU like the feel and action a particular pistol.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 02-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113
Ok with a pistol in mind. Do you have a preference on single or double action, caliber, price range, semi auto or revolver? Are you looking for a concealed carry or mainly just home defense pistol? There are a lot of variables and a lot of products out there. The one thing I will say for sure is everyone is different on what feels good in their hand or how they carry so I could give you a few of my favorites based on the answers you provide to those questions but it will boil down to how YOU like the feel and action a particular pistol.
I'm interested in a double action pistol, semi auto. As far as price. As cheap as possible. And it's going to be for target shooting and home defense

Old 02-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #6

You need to find a good shop/range where you can rent guns to determine what works best for you.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #7

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

Ruger has a number if good pistols for around 3 bills... or less... kel tec produces the pf9 which is pretty decently priced and I think a pretty decent little pistol. 9mm is a great all around caliber for reasonably cheap shooting practice and lots of good defensive ammo is available in the caliber too... maybe think of buying used... it is not always that much cheaper but if you do a little homework you can scoop up some great deals... also, there are a number of good websites that sell firearms through ffl transfers but this can ad transfer fees so you might inquire about those ahead of time to make sure a good deal doesn't become just okay in the process...

Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #8

Kel-Tech has a 9mm DAO that runs around the 250 range. I have one of their .32s that I use as a backup and it has eaten everything I have given in with no problems. Ruger has the LCP which is a .380 and Sig has the P250 which runs around 360-400 I haven't had any of these pistols so I cannot comment on their reliability. As Redfox said though it's good to find a pistol range that will let you rent a few and see which one is better for you.

Member:

Old 02-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
Ruger has a number if good pistols for around 3 bills...

... also, there are a number of good websites that sell firearms through ffl transfers but this can ad transfer fees so you might inquire about those ahead of time to make sure a good deal doesn't become just okay in the process...
My nephew looves his P95 9mm by Ruger, as does everybody else i know that has one. Good bang for the buck, IMO.

If you search CDNN they have a catalog and usually list some police trade-in semi-autos; there were some S&W 5906's there for about $300, may have changed.

If you need to spend as absolute little as possible on whatever works, J&G Sales had some police trade-in Taurus 82 revolvers for about $150, not exactly what you want, but might do the job for you. http://www.jgsales.com/taurus-82-model,-38special-caliber-revolver-with-4-inch-barrel,-used,-good-condition.-p-6528.html

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry for all the questions, but there are so many different types of guns, with so many different characteristics. And double action can mean several different things. There are basically three different breeds of double action guns.

First of all you have the DAO (Double Action Only) guns. These guns cannot be cocked. Pulling the trigger cocks the hammer/striker on every shot. Every shot is a long, relatively heavy trigger pull. Very much like a double action revolver. These guns aren't to common, but they are out there. The Beretta 92 is offered in DAO. So is the Sig P250. There are some others, but those are the ones that come to mind off hand.

Next you have the DA/SA (Double Action/Single Action) guns. These guns are usually hammer fired, and are intended to be carried uncocked. Some have a decocking lever to safely drop the hammer after loading. Others require you to drop the hammer manually. With the hammer down, the first shot is double action. A long, relatively hard trigger pull cocks the hammer and fires the gun. But once fired, the gun remains cocked and becomes a single action gun. All follow up shots are single action requiring only a short, light trigger pull. There are many, many models of this type. My own Bersa Thunder 9 is this type.

Lastly, you have the guns that are sort of in between double and single action. Most of this type are striker fired guns. These guns, once loaded, leave the striker in a sort of half cocked position. Pulling the trigger still has to cock the striker the rest of the way before firing. The trigger pull is still longer and heavier than a single action, but not as bad as a true double action. So its sort of a double action, but behaves like a single action in that it has to be in that half cock position before it will fire. If you pull the trigger on one of these guns and it doesn't fire (empty or failure to fire), then pulling the trigger again does nothing. The trigger alone won't cock and fire the gun. It has to be put in that half cocked position by racking the slide. These types of guns are becoming more and more popular because they give the safety of a double action, but with a lighter trigger pull, that is the same from one shot to the next. My own Kahr CM9 is this type, as are all Kahrs. Glocks and Springfield XDs are other really good examples.

The different types have completely different operation and feel. Strongly suggest you find a range which rents guns and try different ones until you find one that suits you. Every type has advantages and disadvantages. Some people like one. Some like another.

Last edited by Paladin201; 02-08-2012 at 05:51 PM.