Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Hunting with a 10mm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/hunting-10mm-94945/)

kryptar19 08-04-2013 06:34 AM

Hunting with a 10mm

Ok so I plan on getting a 10mm this year, and I really want to deer hunt with it. (I haven't decided on what pistol I want)

My question:
What loads have any of the 10mm hunters here had good luck with?
What pistol do you use?
If you load your own ammo, please give details.

Thanks guys!

TheSadPanda 08-04-2013 08:18 AM

Bumping with interest.

c3shooter 08-04-2013 08:40 AM

Frankly, would not be my first choice for deer. Federal factory loads have a muzzle energy of 424 ft lbs- to me, that is on the light side.

Jagermeister 08-04-2013 09:09 AM

I recommend a caliber that comes out of a rifle that is at least 6.5mm, and travels at 2,000 joules at 100 meters. More humane and accurate hunting. You also need to get closer when handgun hunting.

kryptar19 08-04-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister
I recommend a caliber that comes out of a rifle that is at least 6.5mm, and travels at 2,000 joules at 100 meters. More humane and accurate hunting. You also need to get closer when handgun hunting.

That's why I want to handgun hunt. For the challenge.

I'm an experienced hunter, and I know my limits. Hornady and Corbon list their their energy levels a well over 500 ft/lbs of energy, more than enough to kill a 130lb whitetail at 50yds.

I'm just curious as to what other people's experiences are with the 10mm.

Thanks for the reply though.

danf_fl 08-04-2013 11:36 AM

Some where out there is a Guns & Ammo magazine on the "Complete Book of the 1911" (produced annually).

This year, they are talking about the calibers used in the 1911.

There are 2 articles about the 10mm and hunting.

chloeshooter 08-04-2013 12:03 PM

Don't get a 10mm for deer. As mentioned it isn't a good penetrating round and doesn't have the right ballistics. Not a responsible hunter choice IMHO

John_Deer 08-04-2013 12:03 PM

The 10mm will take deer. A friend hunts with a 10 mm glock. He recently ditched the Glock for a S&W X frame in 460 Rowland. You need to check your local game laws to see if there are any restrictions on using a pistol to hunt. We used to have a law here in NC stating that any pistol used for hunting had to have at least a 6" barrel. The barrel restriction was repealed in 2011. Many hunters still follow the six inch rule. It's much easier to make a 45 yard shot with a longer sight plane. I have seen a lot of internet shooters who could make 45 yard shots with a 2.5" barrel but I have never seen it in real life. Even professional shooters who represent gun manufacturers and Olympic athletes can't make a 45 yard shot with a snub nose or even a 4" barrel.

chloeshooter 08-04-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1325678)
The 10mm will take deer. A friend hunts with a 10 mm glock. He recently ditched the Glock for a S&W X frame in 460 Rowland. You need to check your local game laws to see if there are any restrictions on using a pistol to hunt. We used to have a law here in NC stating that any pistol used for hunting had to have at least a 6" barrel. The barrel restriction was repealed in 2011. Many hunters still follow the six inch rule. It's much easier to make a 45 yard shot with a longer sight plane. I have seen a lot of internet shooters who could make 45 yard shots with a 2.5" barrel but I have never seen it in real life. Even professional shooters who represent gun manufacturers and Olympic athletes can't make a 45 yard shot with a snub nose or even a 4" barrel.

unfortunately, nobody posts the video where the deer gets hit in the a$$ and takes 45 minutes to bleed to death. Just because you CAN shoot a deer with a 10mm handgun doesn't mean it is a good idea. But I don't think the OP is interested in hearing any of that.

Olympus 08-04-2013 01:24 PM

A 10mm will CERTAINLY take a deer humanely and quickly and there are literally thousands of hunters that use the caliber. Myself included. Just Google "10mm for hunting" and read about all the sportsman who use the 10mm.

I've never killed a deer with mine, but I've never had the chance. However, I have killed a wild hog with a 10mm. And they are most definitely thicker skinned and tougher than a whitetail. At distances il under 50 yards, the 10mm will easily do the trick.

The problem with quoting ballistics data from the big manufacturers is that load their 10mm VERY weak. Go to the Double Tap website and check out their ballistics. The only commercial 10mm I would own is Double Tap or Buffalo Bore. Everything else is too wimpy. But I load my own and can get some even better numbers that way. I carry a Dan Wesson 1911 in 10mm and my old man carries a full size Glock compensated in 10mm.