Hungarian p-63 for a carry gun
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Hungarian p-63 for a carry gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Hungarian p-63 for a carry gun

Has anyone owned a Hungarian p-63 9 by 18 pistol,or had any exp. with one? I just found one at the local gun shop for 169.00 dollars,it seems like it would be a good carry gun,being a military gun I would assume it would be reliable. And would that caliber beed suitable for a carry gun,I know it is not a 45 which I have,but it would get carried more than my Ruger p-90.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The PA63 is a good little shooter. I owned one for awhile, but got rid of it because I wanted a nice surplus rifle instead. Plus, the 9x18 Mak ammo is a little expensive in my area.

The weapon itself is a solid design. The design is based of the Walther series, which is a standard among the sub compact pistol world. Only having 7 rounds per magazine is a drawback, and there isn't much accuracy out past 7 yards. If you buy the PA63, invest in getting a spring kit from Wolf. The DA trigger pull is horrendous, and the recoil is a bit snappy. The new springs will take care of those issues.

The performance of the 9x18 is not the greatest, but it'll do the job. I would recommend using the self defense loadings from Hornady. They seem to squeeze a good amount of performance out of the little 9mm round.

Bottom line is the pistol is a good deal for around 160 dollars. Look online, though. You can possibly get it for around 100 dollars plus the 20 dollars transfer fee (worth looking into).

Good luck.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks Sarge,that price at the pawn shop is about what they are going for online,I am not really looking for a shooter,just a good carry gun that I would shoot enough to stay proficient with. And is made from metal,I just cant seem to warm up to plastic guns,call me old school.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I went back and they had it marked down to 149 dollars,that was all it took,it is on layaway now. I was recently unemployed drawing ui insurance,I got my first three checks yesterday but I also had 3 separate checks from the feds for 25 dollars each,so I came up with a great idea for what to do with those extra checks,yep Obama is buying me a 9mm pistol. Thanks big O. And I did not even vote for you.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I start laughing every time I think about it,I crack myself up.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

What 9mm are you going for instead?

Old 03-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

It is the p-63 mal.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:41 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a Hungarian PA-63 for a couple years as my camping/back country beater pistol. It is a great little gun and I found it to be very reliable. It retired to the dusty lockbox of my offroad rig for a year or so of inadequate maintenance before I sold it and it still went bang every time and was a really fun little gun to shoot. You can't go wrong for the price.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #9

I have one, and its great. Mind you, it took a little effort... Detail strip and de-greasing, spring replacement, and Hi-vis to the sights, but it is all worth it. After I got used to it I started to notice that my Browning HP was a big, chunky thing....