Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   humidifier and glock (question) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/humidifier-glock-question-88837/)

ajs19ad6 04-15-2013 05:00 AM

humidifier and glock (question)

Hello everyone. I have a question regarding a humidifier and my glock. I currently have a humidifier in my room due to my sinuses drying out and I keep my glock near by in its original case. Will my glock experience humidity damage? Should I put my gun in the closet or underneath the bed? I'm still new to owning a gun and learning everything I need to know about gun care and safety.

Thanks in advance!

JPenn856 04-15-2013 05:17 AM

Glocks are usually pretty good around aquatic conditions, but I wouldn't leave it there for a while without giving it a good oiling. Simple gun oil will help keep moisture away, and a little goes a long way. I would hope you wouldn't leave it in the case for long enough that it would start to be effected.

Kdub 04-15-2013 05:18 AM

You could store it away from it yes, but I would think it would take a long time for it to do any damage. Stash it under the bed.

kiabe1 04-16-2013 09:16 PM

You know those dessicant packets that youll find at the bottom of boxes. If your worried you can put a couple of those in the case with the gun

BeyondTheBox 04-17-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiabe1 (Post 1216029)
You know those dessicant packets that youll find at the bottom of boxes. If your worried you can put a couple of those in the case with the gun

Yup, I use a couple large sized packets of these in my safe.

bigbomar4 04-22-2013 04:23 AM

I lived in south Louisiana for several years and that is about as humid as you can get. The house I was in did not have central air and you could see the ground between several of the floor boards so it was as humid inside as it was outside. My cheepo Sigma that I had then never had any damage so I doubt a glock would be damaged by about the same humidity levels as long as it sees some gun oil occasionally.

Brue182 04-29-2013 06:01 PM

Even with the oil the foam from the Glock Tupperware will soak up alot of the oil. Keep that in mind I wouldn't oil it and forget about it.

Jagermeister 04-29-2013 06:20 PM

What if you put the Glock in a water proof bag like they have for electronics. It takes a second to get it out of the bag. I found some in the camping section of the BX. Just an idea.

Glore 05-01-2013 12:23 PM

Here is what I would do. Switch out the glock factory plastic case for a nice zipper style pistol case. If your still concerned about the humidity (which I personally wouldnt be) get on Brownell's website and order a small bag of silica. What is the gun gonna be used for? Home defense?

Glore 05-01-2013 12:30 PM

Oh and welcome to the Glock family, Im a proud fan boy. Also its awesome to see you posting and asking questions about gun safety being new to the gun world.