Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > How would you feel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I agree with NYPD also. I carry all the time and at some point and time during my day my pistol in it's holster will be pointed at someone. Most likely there leg but still pointed at them.
The pistol is on the person it belongs to and is not being used, where as the rifle is left unattended and loaded where someone could just pass by and pick it up because they think it's a neat rifle or whatever.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Then I'd remove the cores from his tires on my way out of the parking lot... hey, I'm human!
Not that I would ever do it. But it's quicker just to take a pair of snips and reach down and cut the valve in half. While you're at it do all 4.
This works well because the tire has to be taken off and have a new valve installed.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
Will Rogers

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #23

Liked 215 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPD13 View Post
I don't rely on mechanical safeties as all machines fail at some point.
You Sir, are my HERO!
(I happen to have that same belief, and have previously been declared an a***hat because of it.)

So now we are getting to my point of confusion:
Quote:
As for the pistol thing, absolute safety is when it's "secured" on my person loaded or otherwise left unloaded.
How is it that ANY (loaded) firearm can be considered "absolutely safe" 100% of the time? Is a handgun with failed mechanical safeties become 'absolutely safe', simply by virtue of being secured in a holster?

I don't see the logic here. Please splain.....

Old 02-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #24

Likes Given: 1

[QUOTE=Highpower;228367]

So now we are getting to my point of confusion:
How is it that ANY (loaded) firearm can be considered "absolutely safe" 100% of the time? Is a handgun with failed mechanical safeties become 'absolutely safe', simply by virtue of being secured in a holster?
Reply,
The key word was "Secured" and by definition means to make safe. Weather in a holster, vault, or other device intended to prevent manipulation from an outside influence. So my answer is yes, a pistol with a faulty or non existent safety mechanism is safe when secured in a proper holster just as it would be on a shelf in your vault.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #25

Ok, so it boils down to the human element alone being the deciding factor then? Is that it?

BTW, I truly appreciate your taking the time to discuss this in an adult manor - unlike..... well, you know.
Thanks "13".

Old 02-11-2010, 01:54 AM   #26

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts

Ok guys, this is a follow up to my earlier post on the first scenario where I said I would ask him to make the weapon safe and if I got any grief from him I would leave. I would like to expand a little on why I would do that. It seems that the group is pretty much divided between not having a problem with it and not liking it. As I stated I have and carry my 4516 in that holster and maybe that is the reason I would not feel comfortable with a shooter having the SOB holster on someone next to me. I am familiar with the construction of the holster and how it appears. I am not disputing the safety of the weapon, the holster or the shooter. I am saying that having a weapon in that particular holster it would make me feel uncomfortable. Now to kind of make my point and kind of establish my credibility on this subject I’m going to post a couple of pictures. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so I’ll let you decide.

p1010609.jpg   p1010604.jpg  

Old 02-11-2010, 02:07 AM   #27

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You guys are all wrong.

The answer is to fire the range officer!

Not gonna argue!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #28

We've all seen some pretty stupid things at the range that make us uncomfortable, however holstered pistols still don't bother me. What gets my goat is those who still ignore the basic safety rules such as walking around with their fingers on the trigger. I also feel uncomfortable when the person next to me is handling their gun as if they'd never seen it before (familiarize yourself before live fire people). It's also great to bring others into the culture but please educate first as opposed to handing your buddy a gun and saying have at it. I enjoy the portion of my time at the range sharing information with others. It's how we learn, stay safe, and have fun.
P.S. I like Dzscubies' choice of carry. Wish I could replace my S&W 3914 with that S&W 4516!

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Now to kind of make my point and kind of establish my credibility on this subject I’m going to post a couple of pictures. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so I’ll let you decide.
Indeed. Thank you for taking the time to make up the visual aids scubie.

It's just that after reading post...... after post...... after post...... about how 99% of people will go ballistic after being swept with a muzzle in a gun store - that is most likely NOT loaded, I had to wonder how most folks would feel in my situation above knowing that the gun WAS loaded.

It certainly has been an education as the results were not what I expected. But I am a step closer to understanding the viewpoint from both sides now. Thanks to all for participating.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Not gonna argue!
OH! Well..... in that case.